Wars and Reports of Wars

by bigmouth 3 Replies latest jw friends

• bigmouth
    bigmouth

I don't think anyone has mentioned this before but the Liu Institute for Global Issues which is part of the University of British Columbia have finalised a detailed report on the the prevalance of wars and all its aspects.The facts show that wars are rarer and fewer and we are safer now than we were 100 years ago.

You can find the main page for the report and then download it for free. www.humansecurityreport.info

I'm sorry I don't know how to 'link' it directly.For those who want a short 'highlight'....

Armed conflicts dropped by 40% since 1992. Deadliest dropped by 80%

International precursors to war fell by more than 70% between 1981-2001

Coups and attempted coups have declined by 60% since 1963

The period since WW 2 is the longest interval without wars between the major powers in hundreds of years

Wars are less deadly. The average number killed per conflict per year in 1950 was 38,000. In 2002 it was just 600- a decline of 98%

International terrorism is the only form of political violence that is getting worse.

The report is highly detailed and shows fascinating line graphs showing the steady fall in conflict.
    I don't know what I could have said if someone had shown me this while I beating on about the composite sign.

• InquiryMan
    InquiryMan

It has been reported on in media in Scandinavia.

• greendawn
    greendawn

True the world though far from being totally civilised got much better over the 20th century, in fact the worst time for wars and casualties was the 13th or 14th century given also the much lower world population at the time.

However the FDS may try to turn this round with their naive and ignorant followers by arguing: when they say peace and security then comes disaster.

• Clam
    Clam

Very interesting, and of course good news.

But I can imagine a secretary handing this over to a top man in the WTS and saying " I'm afraid I've got some really bad news".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit