Two daughters

by katiekitten 7 Replies latest jw experiences

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

This isnt my story to tell really, but the teller will never come on this board, nor will she ever discuss the topic. So I am going to steal this story.

Also, you must forgive me for talking about myself in more than flattering terms.

My mum fell pregnant at the age of 17 to a married man. A truck driver. It was a shame in those days and she was sent to a naughty girls home, where she was treated badly and punished for being immoral. She was then forced by her family and circumstances to hand over the baby to a couple who were desperate for a baby, a family. This was round about the early 60's. Lots of babies were adopted this way.

7 years later mum married dad, fell pregnant with me, and the whole family became Jehovah's Witnesses. Respectable. Moral. Upright.

Years later, when I was in my mid 20's we 'discovered' my sister. Thats probably another story. She was beautiful, rich, successful by financial standards. Bizarrely she was having an affair with a married man. A truck driver. Mum was appalled. She had been a Witness for so long she judged my sister adversely, and broke contact with her shortly after making contact.

Now heres the point of my story.

Mum has had two wonderful daughters. Two girls who are more than competent in many areas of life - we can both sew, decorate, build, garden, keep an immaculate house, earn a more than average wage, live in beautiful houses. Both of us are good looking and have kept our bodies in a pleasing shape - my sister is exquisitely beautiful, slim and healthy. My sister left a violent husband and went on to buy her own house on an exclusive estate, way beyond the expectations of her life with her violent husband.

Mum feels inadequate by comparison. She has wasted her life in a religion that has sucked the life out of her, she kicked her husband (my dad) out and has lived a very poor life since (financially, emotionally). She feels she has nothing to give her daughters, and so criticises them conatantly and has cut off my sister.

The only thing either of us want from mum is love, and it is the ONE thing she is EXPERT at withholding. We both want to help her, give her money, clothes, gifts, make her happy. All we want is some positive affirmation from her. Some love. We want her to be proud of us.

Heres my point. If I had two daughters like my sister and I, I would be unbeleivably proud at their achievements, accomplishments, and abilities. My sister pulled herself up by her bootstraps, she worked in a tampax factory (feminine hygiene) married to a violent husband, and she walked out, lied on her CV and got an amazing job that shes still in. I pulled myself up from my bootstraps, and went from pioneer and windowcleaner, to law graduate and then mathematics teacher. And all my mum can do is criticise. How sad.

If I had two daughters like myself and my sister I would never have to worry about them. I would swell with pride. I would brag about them constantly. I would visit them and eat at their houses, I would borrow their clothes (my sister buys nothing but designer clothes and is the same size as mum. She would pass them on if mum hadnt cut her off), let them pay for my holidays, and let them buy me beautiful gifts.

I have one daughter who is 8. My partner wants a baby. I am convinced if I had another baby I would cook a girl. Should I have a girl? I want two daughters like my mum had, and I want to love them like me and my sister want loving.

I cant believe my mum is wasting this amazing opportunity. After all either of us could have turned into white trash, married to scum, with too many children and not enough money. We both had poverty upbringings, but we transcended that, and mum has nothing but disdain for us.

I hope this story doesnt sound like its all about money. Its meant to be about love, the desire for it, the withholding of it, the urge to share it, the frustration at being prevented from sharing it with the person who is supposed to be the most important person in your life.

My sister will never have children now. But I could have one more...

• Thegoodgirl
    Thegoodgirl

Katie,

I hear ya. My mom is such a withholder of love. She doesn't even realize it. I think it is more "sacrificing" than anything else. It's sad. Me and my sisters too were raised in poverty under the roof of a single pioneer, and yet we are all doing the best we can in our situations, mom should be so proud. But she only thinks of bad stuff, like why are we thinking of higher education in this old world? Why are we thinking of starting a family in this old world? Why aren't we throwing away our lives to the society to suffer with the label "pioneer"?

Sometimes, I think it's jealousy. Your mom and my mom have sacrificed so much, expecting to get rewards from Jehovah, or at least respect in the congregation, or if nothing else, a boost in self-esteem. They got none of that. Instead, they are seeing us live normal lives, and it reminds them of just how much they are wasting their own lives. But instead of doubting their own lifestyle and beleifs, they just critisize as a protective shell, to keep their own dignity.

As to whether you should have another kid, that's up to you. I'm sure you're a good mom now. Don't let your mom's mistakes decide what you do with your life.

• katiekitten
    katiekitten
    Your mom and my mom have sacrificed so much

Yes I guess thats a good analysis. I didnt really think about it like that.

• loosie
    loosie

Half of knowing how to be a good mom is knowing what a bad mom is.

I understand how you feel. I am determined not to have my daughter hate me like I hate my mom. But I am pretty sure that if I tell my daughter how wonderful she is and encourage her to become what she wants and don't give her any rides home with a drunken mother that she won't hate me.

• serendipity
    serendipity

(((KK )))

That's a bittersweet story. My mom withholds love too. But her love is toxic and I've decided I don't need that. I hope you find child rearing to be therepeutic. I know I have. I've given my daughter the things I wanted most - love and acceptance. It doesn't quite fill the hole in my soul but it has helped tremendously. If you want to have a baby, go for it now. Why wait any longer?

• Balsam
    Balsam

Katie,

Your mother is the loser and she does not deserve the love of either of her beautiful & talented daughters. Some people just miss out on so much. I have two great sons but they rejected their dad's JW religion and he has rejected them. Some people never know how to appreciate what they have always thinging what they don't have is preferable.

Love your daughter, love your sister and be glad you were able to find each other. Your story of finding each other is wonderful.

Balsam

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

Katie your mom sounds like a very angry person to me. Her history as you describe it, is that of a person who was treated as a throw away at a very young age.This anger may have been the only tool she had to survive. Then since it worked for her at that time, it becomes the only emotional tool they trust.

A person can become so familiar with this type of treatment, that they believe they deserve it and that this is how their life will be and this is who they are.

To remain who they are, they accept people who will abuse them and fit right into the jw cult and other like minded groups.

Since they received so little love in life they do not know how to deliver love. It is not comfortable for them to love OR BE LOVED.

There are also some mental problems that cause this behaviour or this kind of life can cause mental problems, Bi Polar is one that comes to mind.

For your own well being, you might consider " not expecting anything from her" and look at it as something she is incapeable of doing. As we would act if she had a physical problem such as we would if a person could not hear. It is impossible for them to start hearing.

You might "love her from a distance", love her but keep your distance or accept her actions as what she will always be and do not let it hurt you.

I have still to learn, to change the things I can and to accept the things I can not change. But I will say that this is something to consider.

It is always comforting "especially after some one has passed away" to know that you kept the high road and was always kind and helpful.

Outoftheorg

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

Thank you so much for your kind thoughts. It helps to see a new angle on it.

Its true mum has been treated as throwaway, and is full of contempt for everyone. I feel very sorry for her and her awful life, but im the only person left around, and she takes it out on me. I have had to tell myself that she is mentally ill, but I still seem to get emotionally hooked every now and again, because she is so lucid and accurate in her attacks.

I think loving from a distance is the only realistic option, but she is very aware that I distance her and it hurts her. She says things like 'you dont want me in your life, you would be happy if I wasnt around, you just want to pay me off with money, I hate my mother, you hate me and C will hate you, its genetic'.

I just wish she could see that there are good things in her life now, its not all bitterness and hardness like it used to be in the 60's, or like the 70's and 80's when she was in the witnesses. I used to think that if I was good enough, if my house was nice enough, and my life perfect enough it would make her happy. It took me 20 years to realise that there would always be something to criticise and I would never make her happy by striving to quell her criticisms of me by trying to be more and more perfect.

I finally realised this when we found my sister and she seemed to be utter perfection by my mums standards - her house was beyond perfect, big, tasteful, spotless like a show home, she earned well and spent it only on the most beautiful exquisite things. She was very slim and extremely attractive; hair, nails, skin, clothes, shoes were all flawless. Not married (expect for the married man, which ended sometime after we met her). Everything that mum had critisised me for over the years, my sister had perfected. In fact it was uncanny because she looked like my mum aswell. Everything my mum could have been, my sister was. But totally unshowy about it (well as unshowy as you can be when you are walking perfection and every man you walk past nearly loses his eyeballs from googling) But then mum cut her off again some time after getting to know her. And went back to critisising me for being a bit shabby, house not entirely spotless, etc etc

I cant get over the sadness of it, that there is someone there who fits all the criteria, and she'd rather emotionally punchbag me than revel in the perfection of her new daughter.

The silver lining is that my sister and I love each other. I now have a sibling and she has finally found a blood relation. It just feels sad that mum wont join in this cosy new relationship.

(BTW - sis is the first perfect person Im not jealous of!)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit