Rare versus seldom discussed in apologetics

by truth finder 1 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• truth finder
    truth finder

Please write to me back on two versus.

1 Tim 6:16- says that Christ alone has immortality. I found this one on my own, and I believe it is one of the strongest verses affirming Christ's nature.

2 Cor 12:9- I am not fully up to par on JW beliefs, but I do think that they believe that Christ lost his power in the sense mentioned at this verse. I also believed that this is an act of prayer.

I had a chance to see the JW United site, and I became sick. Both sides were bickering. The JW scholar writing against the www.tetragrammaton.org author does not even bring up the point that the WT did not follow their rule (I am not a scholar in this area, but I think it is capatilized Lord in the Hebrew (?)).

Two points that I would like to mention is (1) the ignorance of 1 Cor 13:12, that we cannot fully figure out God, (2) Assuming that the bible does not teach the Trinity. Greg Stafford sets up Robert Bowman into a possition of defining God, and says that the bible never defines God in that sense (sorry, I don't have any citations). He, along with the WT believe in new light being shed, while taking a deffinite stand on Christ's nature, and ignoring 1 Cor 13:12.

I have developed various ideas through the years and one of them is that the Hebrew language was less ambiguous (sorry, no spell checker) than the Greek by virtue of it being in a small-strict culture. My point being is that wherever you see verses that uses infinity for God, those same verses mean the same for Christ. An interesting thing is that the NWT says that "indeffinite" is not "infinity," by their refference to their use of it in "Should You Believe in the Trinity."

Another idea I have recently came up with is that the Neo-Platonist's infuence on the Trinity may not have been as great as the WT supposes by virtue of the fact that the Neo-Platonists revered a nameless God (Yes, you can actually look at one of the scholars of JW United at the very end of discussion of the dialogue with the author of www.tetragrammaton.org. and he mentions the reverence of a nameless God. I also have citations from other sources.). The point here, is that if the Early Christians were influnced by Neo-Platonism so much, then why did they change the name to Lord, rather than save YHWH which was only mentioned by a priest, not that often, and under special conditions?

Aside from the numerous support for Christ's nature being that of the Father's, I never here anything of the Holy Spirit coming from Christ at Philippians 1:19, which says that Paul looked forward to "...supply of the Spirit of Christ Jesus." I hear of the Holy Spirit talked of as "God's Spirit in 1 Cor 2:11, but never the former.

Feel free to respond, but don't get too harsh!

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

tf....here's a thread that touched on some of the same material:Triadic formulae

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit