Ex's Can Earn Money Despite Poor Schooling.

by Englishman 9 Replies latest jw friends

• Englishman
    Englishman

Did you ever wonder about starting up in your own business?

I spent years and years in sales management until one day I realised that I was still acting like a dub, my reps were my congregation, I was the presiding minister. Time to quit!

My hobby had always been carpentry, could I use my skill to make a living? A friend told me that there was a growing market in the plastic cladding business or PVCu as we refer to it here. Timber shiplap, windows and fascias are inevitably of poor quality in the UK, maybe replacing them with maintenance free PVCu would bring in some income. The problem was, I had a severe shortage of cash to start the ball rolling.

Wait a mo, why did I need any cash at all? Lets say I get my first customer, say I charge him £800 to replace his fascias and gutters. OK, Mister Customer, the work will cost £800. You want to go ahead? Great! Can you give me a deposit of £400 and pay me the balance on the day that I complete the work? Now I have the money to buy materials without borrowing or opening an account. I have also made it clears to the customer that he must pay me immediately upon completion. Genuine customers are happy to pay something up front.

So, lets say you have a skill to offer, how do you get the business? Well, you need to let people know that you are open for business. Here’s how I got all my business for the first 7 years at a cost of just £10 per week.

Ever Sunday morning, around 7am, I would head for a market or car-boot sale (Do you call them garage sales across the pond?) I would pay my £5 traders fee and set up a pasting table, on which I would place leaflets and samples. Also I had a sign that read: “Ask me for a free no obligation quotation” that was highly visible. The first time that I attended a market, I booked 8 appointments and got 4 orders, which gave me 3 weeks work. This method of obtaining business will work for all trades, plus most of your customers are private buyers who are a lot quicker at settling their accounts than most businesses. 4 hours marketing for 8 enquiries at a cost of £5 in total has to be good!

Next method is advertising, but forget the big ads, they cost a fortune. Best way is to place a LINEAGE ad in a freebie paper amongst the ads for bric-a-brac or household items. This costs about another fiver, here’s what my ad reads every week:

“Maintenance free cladding, guttering, windows. Local reliable man, lowest prices. Free quotation. Phone 01**********, anytime, anyday.

Now that ad gives me about 3-4 enquiries each week, some people even cut the ad out and pin it to their notice board for future use. Also I now get a consistent stream of repeat and recommended business.

My purpose in this post is simply to demonstrate that going into business does not require great skills or money even. What I would dearly love to hear now is some ideas from others here who have been successful in making up for the lack of schooling that they received due to their being brought up as JW’s.

Englishman.

..... fanaticism masquerading beneath a cloak of reasoned logic.

• Tina
    Tina

((((((eguy))))))))
    while you have some good points,in an ever increasing technochacy special skills and training are needed. What was is not how it will be.just a thought,tina

• philo
    philo

Now if that wasn't the most positive bit of reading in ages, I'm a Mormon. Thanks E

philo

• philo
    philo

Also, my brother knows some of the UK travelling folk, most of whom he says are loaded. They have virtually no education, many are illiterate. On the other hand, they all call themselves John Smith when the authorities are nearby, and give the IR a wide berth! But they drive Merks, that's the moral.

philo

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I think your post was brilliant and generous. In industrialized societies today, kids are trained to be assembly-line workers at best (and incompetent morons at worst).

Entreprenurial skills can be of benefit to everyone, and especially to those unfortuante enough to have denied themselves better opportunities because they thought that to do so would please god.

Thank you, and how did you know our Yank codewords???

• Simon
    Simon

Where are you again Englishman? Our gutters are in desparate need of A+E treatment...

• Englishman
    Englishman

Simon,

I'm on my way! Will you be paying me cash or cheque when the work is completed?

Englishman.

• Englishman
    Englishman

Tina,

Fair coment, but I am talking about the hands-on guy who knows how to saw and use a hammer and screwdriver and isn't afraid of heights either. So many people have a phobia about working high up that they are quite prepared to pay well to have someone (like me!) do it for a fee.

Englishman.

• slipnslidemaster
    slipnslidemaster

Englishman, that was a nice post and I'm glad to read a nice upbuilding post like that too.

I've often thought about starting out on my own like that and how to go about it. Those are some very interesting, easy and cheap ways to go about it.

I have something to think about now.

Slipnslidemaster: "I don't know why we are here, but I'm pretty sure that it is not in order to enjoy ourselves."
    - Ludwig Wittgenstein

• IslandWoman
    IslandWoman

Englishman,

Thanks so much for this good advice. There is much to be gained by self-sufficiency and a positive attitude.

Where I live there are some computer experts who are looking for work, there are others who have a college degree but have given up their jobs to work for the Post Office because it pays more!

Yes, there are many homeowners in need of repairs, and many skilled workmen who cannot keep up with the demand in their field.

Thanks for your encouraging words and good tips.

IslandWoman

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit