Birthday celebrations

by Jools j 7 Replies latest jw friends

• Jools j
    Jools j

reading thru the birthday wishes for both joel (happy birthday BTW) and slayer, i was caught up in MrMoe's remark about it being good to feel no guilt anymore.
    will tell us when you first ever celebrated a birthday after your JW experience and what it felt like and how did you do it? did you feel at all guilty or was it paradisical all the way

• SlayerLayer
    SlayerLayer

I was 23 when I first celebrated. I had been out for a couple of years, but it took me a while to go against my brainwashed conscience.
    It was GREAT!

I walked into my house, and my roommate had organized a surprise party for me. They jumped out and yelled "SURPRISE!!!!"

Looking around the room, I saw "HAPPY BIRTHDAY CHRIS!" banners everywhere. All of my friends were there. There were SOOO many presents. They said that they had to make up for 23 birthdays. LOL.

One of my friends brought her mom with her. THis woman was SO cool. I opened the present that she brought for me and to my surprise, it was a quarter bag of weed! We smoked up and ate the whole cake. LOL

Slayer

• Jools j
    Jools j

your story really made me . i can never imagine what it must be like to know kids in your school had access to the magic of birthdayland with you looking on and excluded.
    loooooooooooong may you continue to celebrate your birth.
    anyone else with a tale to tell?

• Eyebrow
    Eyebrow

Let's see....I was 27 and my son celebrated his birthday for the first time when he turned 8.

As his birthday came up, I gave him the choice of whether he wanted to celebrate it or not. He told me it felt a bit wierd, but overall very nice.

• Jools j
    Jools j

trying again for news on your first time to celebrate a birthday .

• safe4kids
    safe4kids

First one for us was my daughter's 5th birthday...we had a big party for her at ChuckECheese's and invited many of her friends. It was a little embarassing for me tho, as I had to ask a couple of my friends what to do!! Like, what order do we sing "Happy Birthday" and when does she open her presents..stuff like that. My best friend Misti and my niece Chelsea were a HUGE help!!! And they didn't even tease me (much!) for not knowing what to do.

The delight in my dauther's eyes...the well wishes of her friends and mine....it was magical and no one can tell me bringing that kind of joy to a child's heart is somehow wrong.

Freedom is a wonderful thing...

Dana

• joelbear
    joelbear

I was 30 and a friend from work gave me a birthday party, It was about a month after my DFing. It was really weird.

I still feel guilty celebrating my birthday and accepting presents.

• Ranchette
    Ranchette

This has been a banner year so far for my whole family!I was 35,my husband 44,my daughter 14,and my son 9.
    We are having fun! I had no guilt feelings because I had already worked that out before taking action,but I have to tell you singing the song is still a little weird for me for some reason.I just think after all those years of being told it's bad it takes time to get rid of old programing.
    At my first birthday my family had me stay in my room till they called me.I was so excited! After they called me out I came down the hall to the kitchen and they all hollered "Surprise" Then someone(my son) jumped in front of me and I heard a very loud pop ,saw sparks and something coming towards me. This happened in seconds .I thought I had been shot!!! I jumped streight up and landed right on my butt when I came back down!!Well my family sure thought it was funny.Once I got over the shock I thought it was funny too.It was a hand held firework that you hold in your hand and shoot and colored streamers come out.
    The second birthday in the family was my daughters'.It was crazier than mine! When she leaned over to blow out the candles my son screamed,"Your hair is on fire".We all thought he was joking till I saw the right side of her hair on fire!!
    I grabbed it and skook it.The part that was on fire fell to the floor .We put the fire out and accessed the damage and went on with the festivities.The worst part was the horrible stink in the house from burnt hair!
    We joked that God was mad at us for being such pagon heathons.He must have gotten over it though because the last two Birthdays went off without a hitch.
    Ranchette

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit