"keep doing this in remembrance of me"

by totalee 7 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• totalee
    totalee

I have re-posted this thread on the advice of another site member.

Why is it OK to celebrate a wedding anniversary but not a birthday? I can understand Christmas, Easter, Halloween and Valentines day but birthdays, thanksgiving, mother's day and father's day don't have religious or murderous origins. Also, at the last supper, Jesus told his disciples to "keep doing this in remembrance of me". If Jesus set the example, why is it that all JW's do not partake? I understand that JW's believe that only the 144,000 are to partake of the bread and wine, but did not Jesus die so that all of mankind would be saved? I never understood the point of attending the memorial service just to touch a plate and cup. And while I am thinking about it, are any of the 144,000 members of the Governing Body? And, who are the faithful and discrete slave?

Please clarify this for me.

I am sorry for all of the questions; I just have a lot to get off my chest.

• metatron
    metatron

More than that, what nonsense is this "do this in remembrance of me" as practised by the Watchtower? Was Jesus thinking

"OK, 6 million of you just meet together and pass the stuff around with almost no one partaking"??? Is that in remembrance

of Jesus? Are the bread and wine symbols of Christian salvation? Do they apply to the "great crowd", yes or no?

metatron

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

Jehovahs Witnesses actually believe that the ransom of Christ Jesus applies to the majority of people by extention. Those "anointed" ones who make up the 144,000 are the partakers at the memorial. Those of the "other sheep" or "great crowd" which make up the majority of the members do not question this for many reasons. The main one being that their believe in EARTHLY LIFE has been so strongly forced upon them, hence no need to partake. The reasoning book and other publications actually state that Christs Ransom only applies by extention to the "great crowd". Like other religions, those in the Watchtower never question what they are told, instead they accept all information as it is presented, no questions asked.

• Funchback
    Funchback

Hi, totalee.

Welcome to the Forum. I am also in Pennsylvania.

• greendawn
    greendawn

Welcome Totalee, most of the JWs almost all of them have been expelled from the New Covenent by the leaders of the Watchtower.

They have many strange teachings and this is one of them. They say the 144 000 is a literal number but the entire context of that verse is symbolic. Otherwise we might as well say those 144 000 would also be exclusively virginal male Jews 12 000 from each of their tribes.

As for the twelve GB members they are "annointed" however seven of them were born after the doors for annointed supposedly closed in 1935 according to JW doctrine, in fact two of them, Morris and Jackson, are in their fifties.

• fairchild
    fairchild

I always wondered about Mother's day and Father's day too. The bible teaches us to respect and honor our parents, so what would be wrong with giving them a special day to let them know how much you appreciate the things they do for you? If anything, it would be more biblical than not biblical IMHO.

• FairMind
    FairMind

totalee Birthdays are not celebrated because they supposedly originated in pagan religions. The ancient Hebrews did not celebrate their birthdays and neither did the first century Christians. The only two accounts of birthday celebrations recorded in the Bible were those of King Herod and one of the Pharaohs both of whom were not good people. I’m not saying that celebrating birthdays is wrong but it wouldn’t be wrong to not celebrate them either. The celebrating of wedding anniversaries by God’s worshippers is supposedly OK. Remember that Jesus’ first miracle (turning of water into wine) was at a wedding celebration. Of course, it wouldn’t be wrong to not celebrate one’s wedding anniversary although it might incense your spouse. The partaking of the bread and wine has to do with Jesus’ covenant with those who would rule with him in heaven as kings and priests over the earth. This is obviously not everyone, as there has to be earthly subjects (great crowd and most of mankind by means of resurrection). The Faithful and Discreet Slave is (according to the WTS) the remnant of the 144,000 alive today on earth. Generally though JWs think of the FDS as being the Governing Body of the WTS. Hope this helps

• Benjamin Belial
    Benjamin Belial

I still don't get it. Where in the Bible does it actually say "Only these people here should partake, the rest should watch?"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit