The Holy Scriptures vs. The Bible

by totalee 5 Replies latest jw friends

• totalee
    totalee

Could someone tell me why the JW Bible is called the new world translation of the Holy Scriptures and not the new world translation of the holy Bible? And why do JW's have so many publications to accompany the Bible? If the Bible is inspired by God, shouldn't the Bible be enough? I say that because I grew up attending the Kingdom Hall and I have noticed that every couple of years a new publication is produced. As the years have gone by I see that much of the information goes back and forth on different topics and contradicts itself. When I ask why publications are produced that contradicts publications that were produced 30 years ago, I am told that the light has gotten brighter.

I believe that since the Bible has the same information in it now as it did 2,000 years ago and the light never needed to become brighter, Why not just use the Bible to teach the people.

• carla
    carla

Because they are a cult.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Welcome Totalee!

(Q) Could someone tell me why the JW Bible is called the new world translation of the Holy Scriptures and not the new world translation of the holy Bible?

(A) Because they like to different...very different.

(Q) And why do JW's have so many publications to accompany the Bible?

(A) Because they are so afraid people will misunderstand their difference that they publish A LOT of information explaining their difference and, most importantly, Scripturally prove why their differences are necessary. But, of course, they have NO Scriptural evidence unless they use their own different Bible.

(Q) Why not just use the Bible to teach the people?

(A) Because the teachings of Jehovah's Witnesses don't come from the Bible, which is why anyone who tries to study ONLY the Bible can't ever find the truth. While it is true that God's Word is truth, you could never understand it without help—which is why Jesus sent the holy spirit (no that's not right) Faithful and Discreet Slave (no that's wrong, too) Governing Body to lead us into all truth.

I hope this helps answer your questions.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• pseudoxristos
    pseudoxristos
    And why do JW's have so many publications to accompany the Bible?

Because a publishing company must continue to publish books to stay in business.

pseudo

• Mysterious
    Mysterious
    Could someone tell me why the JW Bible is called the new world translation of the Holy Scriptures and not the new world translation of the holy Bible?

Probably in an effort to distinguish themselves from mainstream Christianity which they refer to as "Christendom" or alternately as "false religion".

And why do JW's have so many publications to accompany the Bible? If the Bible is inspired by God, shouldn't the Bible be enough?

Yes the bible should be enough. But to prove their twisted views it is necessary to hopscotch from scripture to scripture, because of this they need their publications as a "guide" to wear they are. They also use them to misquote people and bring in outside information that seems to support them. Or to make cute illustrations that are oversimplifications in order to try and get you to agree with them.

I say that because I grew up attending the Kingdom Hall and I have noticed that every couple of years a new publication is produced.

There are a few reasons for this that I see. First and foremost they are a publishing company and as such they need to put out new sources of revenue. Second they use new releases as a way of reinvigorating interest in a message that dies out rapidly when it is not reinventing itself. Third they make so much up that they need to correct it later or be proven wrong.

As the years have gone by I see that much of the information goes back and forth on different topics and contradicts itself. When I ask why publications are produced that contradicts publications that were produced 30 years ago, I am told that the light has gotten brighter.

They pull sensationalist crap to try and inspire recruitment. If the end is coming soon you can't afford to not listen to them just in case. If you had all the time in the world why bother? But if their deadlines pass they must be revised so no one can prove them wrong. Since measures are VOTED on there is of course a natural fluctuation between conservative and reformist factions inside the organization. And of course since they are in no way inspired by god they all have their own ideas how things should be.

I believe that since the Bible has the same information in it now as it did 2,000 years ago and the light never needed to become brighter, Why not just use the Bible to teach the people.

You don't make as much money that way. And you certainly can't be convinced of their viewpoint if you read the bible as one cohesive unit without their supporting material.

• serendipity
    serendipity

Hi totalee, welcome to the forum!

The WTS is not the only org. to publish books/magazines about the Bible. There are others companies who do so too. Take a look in a Christian Bookstore. People find the Bible hard to understand or simply want more information. There are plenty of people who are more than happy to meet that market demand.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit