Who/What Preached at Your Funeral?

by Sam Beli 7 Replies latest jw friends

• Sam Beli
    Sam Beli

Someone started an interesting thread about what music we’d like played at our funeral. The logical next step is to ask of what the funeral itself would consist. Since becoming an ex-JW I have been wondering what my wife (also now an ex-JW) would do if I preceded her in death. She would like some guidance from me on what I’d like. I certainly do not want any JWish funeral, not even anything remotely linking me to JWs.

I am thinking of putting something in writing in the event that my wife and I were killed at the same time. Should that happen my remaining family members are all JWs and they would be calling the shots, though they probably would honor my written instructions.

Any suggestions you have and care to give here are welcome.

(BTW, I’d like to have Verdi’s Requiem played at my funeral, it is beautiful music – the UK’s royal family had it performed at the late Princess’s funeral - and it would drive my family nuts – they are more the blue grass type).

Sam Beli

I have seen all the works which have been done under the sun, and behold, all is vanity and striving after wind. What is crooked cannot be straightened and what is lacking cannot be counted. Solomon

• patio34
    patio34

Hi Sam,

That's a very good topic. Recently in a class at work on the Stephen Covey book "7 habits of Effective People" there was an exercise to write up what people should say at your funeral. The purpose was to help formulate your goals in life.

I haven't thought about it too much, but definitely not the "Watch Tower Infomercial," as some have called funeral 'talks.'

I would want it simple--and KIND! Something with an optimistic up-beat kind of gathering. Maybe a little evolution-type comfort? Ha-ha.

Pat

• Naeblis
    Naeblis

I want Gordon Downie to sing Long time Running at my funeral.

• AngelofMuZiC
    AngelofMuZiC

WOW....what an interesting subject! I had never actually thought about, and I really should, considering that I DA'd, and my mom is still a JW. I am 19 and she is 62. I myself don't the JW's preaching to my funeral attendees about me coming back, giving them false hope. But I know that my mother would not want her funeral anywhere other than a KH. What's a girl to do???? Any suggestions???

Joanne

• Naeblis
    Naeblis

Yes. Why don't you email me *winkwink* Oh god. I can't help it ;(

• Quester
    Quester

I have thought about this and need
    to put something in writing.

I bought a book from the Unitarian
    Universalist bookstore that has different
    ideas on the topic.

"In Memoriam A Guide to Modern Funeral and
    Memorial Services", By Edward Searl

bookstore website:
    * http://www.uua.org/bookstore/newbookstore.html

Quester

• Sam Beli
    Sam Beli

bttt

I'd really like more serious replys

Thanks Quester for the book suggestion

Sam Beli

I have seen all the works which have been done under the sun, and behold, all is vanity and striving after wind. What is crooked cannot be straightened and what is lacking cannot be counted. Solomon

• Eyebrow
    Eyebrow

My father was not a witness, but my mother had an elder give the talk at his funeral. There was no eulogy about my father or anything like that. It really pissed quite a few of the many non JW relatives off.

My poor mother didn't realize this until a few years after the funeral. I helped her make the funeral home arrangements, but neither one of us had the presence of mind to think about an actual eulogy. Shame on the brothers for not speaking about this with her!

My advice to ANYONE that has a witness relative that will be responsible for the arrangements is to make sure you discuss what you want ahead of time, prefably in writing, and also talk to a non witness relative or friend and give him/her a copy. Let your spouse know that this friend will be there to help with the arrangements because few really have the prescence of mind to deal with these things when the time comes.

I have been to a few witness funerals, and they have not all just consisted of the talk. When my mom dies, I will let the brothers do their talk, but they will have to do it at the KH, or only AFTER she is properly eulogized by her family. This is out of respect for her.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit