holy spirit and JW's... are they way off or what???

by in a new york bethel minute 6 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• in a new york bethel minute
    in a new york bethel minute

i remember a talk about 10 years ago about how we were not supposed to pray for a "portion" of holy spirit... and that, even though it is not a person and it's just his active force, it's not distributed in portions... you either have it or you don't. but i notice a lot of witnesses still pray to God and ask for a portion of his holy spirit. i find this very offensive and ignorant... anybody else notice this and how i can approach a jw about the proper way to pray about this matter???

bethel

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I recall that. I was counselled for a prayer in which I asked that the congregation would have 'an extra portion of holy spirit'. Told the same thing.

talk about straining at gnats.

Jeff

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

WT-50-4-15-p. 118 ) The record says that he sent out seventy of the mature and faithful disciples to engage in this shepherding work. (Luke 10:1-17) It is true that the commission to preach this gospel of the Kingdom falls on every one of God’s people, but especially is this true of those whom the Lord selects as servants in his Theocratic organization. That this is so is shown by what occurred from and after Pentecost. There on that occasion a goodly portion of the Lord’s power and holy spirit was poured out on all present, brothers and sisters alike, old and young alike, servants and nonservants alike WT-54-6-1-p. 342 26 After this series of experiences and tests Jehovah poured out upon this organized “slave” class a double portion of his spirit. WT-58-8-15-p. 505 Among such things that we may and should pray for ourselves is an ever greater portion of God’s holy spirit or active force, which God is glad to give us, even as Jesus shows at Luke 11:13. WT-81-11-15-p. 31 Christians, too, can receive an ample amount of God’s active force, or spirit. All Scriptures are Inspired-p. 209 “For the kingdom of God does not mean eating and drinking, but means righteousness and peace and joy with holy spirit.” (14:17) This righteousness, peace, and joy is especially the portion of the “joint heirs with Christ,” who are to be “glorified together” with him in the heavenly Kingdom.

• Scully
    Scully

I suppose that asking for a "double portion" could be considered "greedy"... the newest buzzword for overindulgent sinfulness. Or it could be viewed as putting on airs as though someone was more deserving of holy spirit than others who weren't trying hard enough.

I recall hearing counsel about that too... then Brothers™ started praying for 'the needed measure of holy spirit' and 'the guidance of the holy spirit, each one according to their individual needs'.

So much for heartfelt prayer... as though God can't possibly understand the intent behind the words that were spoken.

• cheezy
    cheezy

Maybe the holy spirit is like a big pizza pie. Here's your portion:

Or if it is poured out, maybe its more like a pitcher of beer. Here's your portion:

Party on!

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I never heard this piece of "enlightened counsel", ... but then I have been out of the stream and only hanging around for the last 8 years .

I do recall though clearly , that one was supposed to NEVER counsel a brother on his public prayer. It was seen as a communication between him and Jehovah.

BTW I can't see the point they are making

• blondie
    blondie

It was probably based on this

w81 11/15 pp. 30-31 Questions from Readers

When you face difficult trials or tasks, is it appropriate to ask for "a double portion" of God’s spirit, as Elisha did?

Rather than feeling that you need to ask for ‘twice as much’ of God’s spirit on some occasion, it is better to think in terms of requesting that God supply holy spirit in accord with your needs.

After the prophet Elijah crossed the Jordan River and just before he was taken heavenward in a fiery chariot, his associate and successor, the prophet Elisha, made a special request. According to the King James Version, Elisha said to departing Elijah: "I pray thee, let a double portion of thy spirit be upon me." (2 Ki. 2:9) Some Christians, drawing on that language, have thought about needing or have actually asked God for "a double portion of spirit."

However, the New World Translation helps us to understand Elisha’s request. It reads: "Please, that two parts in your spirit may come to me." (2 Ki. 2:9) Elisha was asking for a firstborn’s portion of Elijah’s spirit. How is that?

What Elisha said draws upon the practice in ancient Israel of distributing a man’s property when he died. Whereas the other sons would receive a portion of the inheritance, the firstborn, or eldest surviving son, received a double portion, as well as the responsibility of headship in the household.—Deut. 21:17.

When it was God’s will to remove Elijah from the immediate scene as the principal prophet to Israel, Elisha was to succeed him. Elisha would not be left as the only prophet at the time. Associated with him were various men known as the "sons of the prophets." (2 Ki. 2:3, 5) Yet Elisha was to be the foremost among them, as the prime successor to Elijah. (2 Ki. 4:38; 6:1-3) So even though they likely had a measure of God’s spirit and carried out some prophetic functions, Elisha was like the firstborn son of Elijah and could appropriately request two parts of Elijah’s spirit.

Jehovah God provides holy spirit for his faithful worshipers according to their needs and circumstances. When, because of the huge number of people involved, Moses needed assistance, God directed that 70 qualified older men be selected to help. Jehovah told Moses: "I shall have to take away some of the spirit that is upon you and place it upon them, and they will have to help you in carrying the load of the people." (Num. 11:16, 17) Now, that does not mean that Moses would thereafter be inadequately supplied with holy spirit, having a spirit deficiency. No, God would provide for Moses and for the 70 assistants ample spirit for them to handle the tasks before them. Similarly, Elisha as well as the "sons of the prophets" would have sufficient holy spirit to carry out their duties and to face the coming tests or trials.

Christians, too, can receive an ample amount of God’s active force, or spirit. Understandably, they should live in a way that does not impede the flow and activity of holy spirit. (Compare Ephesians 4:30.) And they should pray for the spirit, believing what Jesus said: "If you, although being wicked, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more so will the Father in heaven give holy spirit to those asking him." (Luke 11:13) We can be sure that God "does not give the spirit by measure," or "sparingly." (John 3:34, NW, 1950 ed.; Centenary Translation of the New Testament) Rather than "a double portion," he will give us the amount of holy spirit we need to cope with life’s problems, to share in the important work of preaching the "good news of the kingdom" and to understand and apply his Word.—Matt. 24:14.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit