Does anyone collect antique china?

by Billygoat 5 Replies latest jw friends

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

A couple months ago we had a garage sale. We gathered old useless boxes of stuff from friends and family. Stuff they were wanting to just trash and we took it to sell. At the end of the sale, we had some dishes that didn't go. I have done some research on the net and realized one of the plates is a collectors item that sells for $35 - $57 a plate!!! I have a three other odd dishes that didn't sell. But I can't seem to find any info on them on the net. Does anyone know anything about Royal Limoges, Royal Albert, or Johnson Bros of England? Do you think if I just take them to a local dealer, they'd buy them from me? Any suggestions?

• Cellist
    Cellist

Contact Replacements Ltd. I know a little bit about china. But I would suggest contacting Replacements Ltd., they'll do a pattern identification for you.

PM me if you need to know anything else. Personally, I'd find out what I had and what it was worth before taking it to a local dealer.

Cellist

• willowmoon
    willowmoon

Hi Billygoat, I'm only familiar with Limoges, I think the value depends on whether it's hand-painted or a transfer design, where it was made, age and condition. You need to talk to a couple of reputable dealers, you could have something quite valuable. I had a set of Limoges dinnerware from my grandmother, was amazed at what a dealer paid for it! Just be sure to talk to more than one dealer, and do some research first. Kovels is supposed to be a good resource, they publish books and also http://www.kovels.com .

I hope you've got some treasures!

willow

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

Search Ebay, completed auctions, to see what they are worth.

• I quit!
    I quit!

Royal Albert is still around. You can get "Old Country Rose" and other patterns at most department stores. My sister has collected it for years. A lot of it is now made in China or other countries in the far east.

There is a book on Johnson Brothers available at Amazon.com. I think it is called Johnson Bros Dinnerware or something like that. I was thinking of getting it myself but never got around to it. What pattern of Johnson Bros. do you have? My wife and I have pretty much a full set of the Friendly Village. It seems to be getting harder to find and the newer stuff is now being made in China. I'm not sure they even exist anymore as company manufacturing in England. Someone may have just bought the rights to the patterns and the name. To my knowledge Johnson Brothers never has had a website and it has alway been hard to get any information on them. The Limoges is French and might be worth something.

One more thing I noticed on the Johnson Bros. The pieces we purchased even a few years ago say "Made in England". The newer pieces come in boxes that say "Made in China" but it doesn't say that on the China itself. On the China it says "Johnson Bros England" but doesn't say where it was made. I'm sure that there will be people selling these pieces in antiques shops as English antiques. I guess the US isn't the only country that doesn't make anything anymore.

• calico
    calico

Hi--

Be careful with Replacements, Ltd--I found that they don't like to pay very much when they buy from you, but boy, do they charge a lot!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit