Another story on changing magazine pics

by behemot 8 Replies latest jw friends

• behemot
    behemot

In my country a few years ago there was the (unwritten) rule that skirts long to the shoes were not OK for sisters. Unfortunately in Brooklyn it seems that nobody knew about this, so once, much to the embarassment of the local branch that was upholding the rule, a WT issue came up that had on one page a pic of a sister preaching who wore just that kind of skirt; and on another page a pic of a Witness party with a sister sitting on a sofa whose skirt covered her shoes. Result? The issue in the local language was printed with "edited" pics: the pic with the preaching sister was added an edge of greenery at the bottom so you could no longer see where the skirt ended; in the other pic they did a better job in that they actually shortened the skirt and added feet and shoes.

Don't know if the changes were approved by the Headquarters or were an independent initiative of the branch committee. Anyway I saw the changes with my eyes as at the time I had access at the English issue of the magazines.

Behemot

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

That's interesting - what country is that?

• behemot
    behemot

It's a European country.

Sorry for not being more specific (I have good reasons) and for following the WT habit of vagueness when reporting not-very-upbuilding facts, as in the following example:

"A report from one European country indicates that at times some brothers and sisters arrive at the Kingdom Hall with a strong smell of alcohol on their breath." (wt dec. 15, 1996, page 29)

Don't know if it's the same country I'm referring to. Maybe not.

Behemot

• Motema Bolingo
    Motema Bolingo

Pictures are on my website.

Here :

http://www.aggelia.be/subliminal3a.html

Jacques

• aniron
    aniron
    In my country a few years ago there was the (unwritten) rule that skirts long to the shoes were not OK for sisters. Unfortunately in Brooklyn it seems that nobody knew about this,

The fact that it was an "unwritten rule" is probably why Brooklyn didn't know about it. They are only concerned with rules they make.

Why were long skirts so bad? In Britain many sisters wore long skirts as it was deemed more modest.

• Wolfgirl
    Wolfgirl

I got in trouble for wearing a skirt down to my ankles (back when that was the fashion) in the US. I was told it was because it was extreme, and 'being extreme is the opposite of being modest.' *eyes roll out of head*

• blondie
    blondie

It is amazing how skilled the brothers in charge are at straining out the gnats but gulping down the camels.

I wonder if Jesus would have been concerned about hem lengths?

Blondie

• InquiryMan
    InquiryMan

I heard the same mentioned about skirts when visiting friends in another European country - won’t disclose which one due to paranoia :-) He was referring to a country shaped like a boot.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    "A report from one European country indicates that at times some brothers and sisters arrive at the Kingdom Hall with a strong smell of alcohol on their breath." (wt dec. 15, 1996, page 29)

Don't know if it's the same country I'm referring to. Maybe not.

Hmmm, sounds like mine!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit