Children and the "Sign" from Jesus...

by ackack 7 Replies latest watchtower bible

• ackack
    ackack

This is an article from w71.

Jesus Gives a Sign
    An article specially designed for parents to read with their children
    TODAY we are going to talk about signs. It is good to know how to read signs. They can help us.
    Some signs have words on them. They tell us where we can buy food. They may warn us not to cross the street when cars are coming. What signs have you seen?
    There are signs of another kind too. They may have no words. Some of them tell about changes in the weather. Clouds may cover the sun. Perhaps the wind starts to blow. Lightning flashes. There is thunder. When you hear and see these things, what do they mean? What is going to happen? Yes, there will probably be rain. It is not hard to read those signs, is it?
    One day Jesus’ apostles asked him for a sign. They had heard him say that people would not see him again until some future time. They wanted to know when that would be. What sign would there be that the time had come?
    The Great Teacher knew that his followers would need a sign. He was going to go back to heaven to be with God. When he came again he would not be a human. He would be a spirit. And can you see a spirit?
    So, how would anyone know that he had come again? Well, Jesus told them what to watch for. He told them about things that would happen right here on earth.
    When Jesus was talking to them, they were close to Jerusalem. They could see it across the valley. And they could see its beautiful temple. So Jesus told them about things that would happen to Jerusalem and its temple. And those things did happen!
    But Jesus also said that the same things would happen again later. This time they would happen to the whole world. And what would this mean? It would mean that Christ had returned. It would mean that from heaven he had begun to rule in the kingdom of God. Soon he would destroy the wicked. Life would soon get much better here on earth.
    Have we seen the sign that Jesus gave? I have. Would you like to hear about it?
    As part of the sign, Jesus said: ‘You are going to hear of wars and reports of wars. Nation will rise against nation and kingdom against kingdom.’
    I have seen that in my lifetime. Whole nations have fought against other nations to destroy them. The trouble really began in the year 1914. Now we hear news reports about war almost every day. Have you heard those reports on the radio or on television?
    Here is another part of the sign that Jesus gave. He said: ‘There will be food shortages in one place after another.’
    Not everyone has enough food to eat. Did you know that? I have heard that every day ten thousand people die because they do not have enough food. Jesus said that there would be food shortages.
    Jesus also said: ‘In one place after another there will be pestilences.’
    Do you know what a pestilence is? It is a sickness or disease that kills many people. Right after the war that began in 1914 there was a very great pestilence. It was called the Spanish flu. About 500,000,000 persons went to bed sick from the flu in just a few months, and over 20,000,000 of them died. Just think of that! But the Spanish flu was not the only pestilence. There are still cancer, heart disease and other sicknesses that kill many thousands of persons every year.
    This is another part of the sign that he gave: ‘There will be earthquakes in one place after another.’
    Do you know what an earthquake is? It makes the ground shake under your feet. Houses fall down and people often get killed. Since the year 1914 there have been many more earthquakes every year than there were before. These are things that have happened in my lifetime.
    Jesus said that another part of the sign would be ‘more and more lawlessness.’ That is happening too. That is why people almost everywhere lock the door on their houses. They are afraid that someone might try to break in. And in many places it is not safe to walk on the street alone at night. Never before has it been as bad as it is now.—Matt. 23:39–24:22; Luke 21:5-36.
    Some people may say that these things have happened before. But never before has it happened to so much of the world at the same time. All this has special meaning.
    Remember, Jesus said that these things would be a sign. Can you read that sign? What does it mean?
    Most people see only the trouble. It makes them unhappy. But if they knew what the sign meant, they would rejoice. Why?
    Jesus said: ‘As these things start to happen, lift your heads up, because your deliverance is getting near.’ That means that we should be happy. Because in just a short time God will put an end to all the troubles on this earth. Life will be a real pleasure then.
    Don’t you agree that is good news? If we really believe it, we won’t keep it only for ourselves. Other people need to know about it too.
    “How comely upon the mountains are the feet of the one bringing good news, the one publishing peace, the one bringing good news of something better, the one publishing salvation, the one saying to Zion: ‘Your God has become king!’”—Isa. 52:7.

Please pick out the most disturbing line from this. for me its "About 500,000,000 persons went to bed sick from the flu in just a few months, and over 20,000,000 of them died. Just think of that!" ... wow little Timmy.. just imagine 20 million people dying! okay, good night.
    what sort of nightmares would these children have. <shudder>
    ackack
  • LDH
    LDH

ackack,

great post. What a wonderful thought to place in a child's mind just before bed! And, there was always a featured picture of the earth being ripped in half and the added bonus of a child falling into the abyss.

When I was about 6 or 7 and the Malawi thing was in "full swing" there was a study? talk? article? where a group of JWs were fleeing from the people trying to kill them, and in their hiding spot was a mother and toddler who would not stop crying. So, she did what any good mother would do, which was to kill the child. Don't remember the details, smothering, throwing in the river or some such. The point was, she was held up as an example of how far a sister's faith would go!

And, as an added bonus, the child will be brought back in the resurrection, so no real harm done.

At that time I had a clear understanding that my parents would sacrifice my life or kill me for the sake of (who I thought was) God.

I began practicing holding my breath and other forms of self discipline, pinching myself really hard and not crying, all in anticipation of Armageddon which was always Real Soon Now.

These foolish JW adults think they can "share" all sorts of info with their children under the guise of Loving Kindness. (TM)

Lisa

Sends her kids to bed with Happy Thoughts, Class

• ackack
    ackack

Don't mean to bttt my own thread, but just a side note. I found this article just curiously searching on the WT cdrom if there were any articles with "black plague" and "spanish flu" in the same article.

Take a while guess how many articles came up? I mean... you would think it would be key to the WT proving their case. Well, the grand total was one. So crazy.

ackack of the "I could just kick myself for not seeing it earlier" class

• ackack
    ackack

LDH, wow. What a disturbing thought. And this mother who committed infacide was held up as a good example? wow.

My sister lived in perpetual fear too, about being raped, about being tortured. So much fear. Glad she's free from it (to some extant)

ackack

• LDH
    LDH
    Glad she's free from it (to some extant)

Me too! One thing for sure, it contributed to making me the stong person I am today. Also, I learned how NOT to raise a child.

Does anyone else remember this example?

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

nope. If such an article really existed it would be borderline criminal. Seriously, an article that endorsed killing children ?

• tall penguin
    tall penguin

"Jesus said that another part of the sign would be ‘more and more lawlessness.’ That is happening too. That is why people almost everywhere lock the door on their houses. They are afraid that someone might try to break in. And in many places it is not safe to walk on the street alone at night. Never before has it been as bad as it is now."
    This really disturbs me. The fear-inspiring mentality of the wts creates a whole society of people that thrive on fear. It's sad to me that they even target children in this. It all makes me so sick.
    tall penguin

• DavidChristopher
    DavidChristopher

What is up with "Sign of Jonah" though? I think there is alot missing by everyone on this. It needs to be investigated further in my opinion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit