A.D or C.E?

by bother_forever 9 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• bother_forever
    bother_forever

Are JWs the only group to refer to A.D in dates as C.E, also like wise for B.C.E instead of B.C, or is it another proof of their divine right ( because the rest of the world is ignorant, and under the influence of satan) to only know the correct way to state dates?

• Oxnard Hamster
    Oxnard Hamster

I remember college professors using C.E. and B.C.E.

• Honesty
    Honesty

What better way to be subtle with their denial of Jesus.

• badboy
    badboy

ITS A POLITICALLY CORRECT THING!

• jstalin
    jstalin

It's the politically correct secular thing to do. Personally, even though I'm an atheist, I prefer BC and AD.

• jgnat
    jgnat

It's not exclusive to the JW's, they've borrowed the practice from academia. It makes them sound smarterer, you see. A good article on the topic.

http://www.radix.net/~dglenn/defs/ce.html

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

As an atheist, I also prefer BC and AD. Otherwise, we'd have to rename the comic strip.

Also, I find that it adds a bit of ethnic colour to our dates. Denying the significance of Jebus is just as superstitious as believing in his existance. His character was extremely significant in our culture (even though he was just pretend).

The JWs use of CE and BCE is just a bit of pretention on their part, and an attempt to make themselves appear to be unique.

• zen nudist
    zen nudist

CE and BCE are more accurate because, if Jesus were a real person, he would have been born about 4bce

and you could hardly use AD for that now could you?

• greendawn
    greendawn

I think this is a matter of personal taste and style and has no implications on any other issue. But I don't understand how the expression common era came about, common to whom?

• badboy
    badboy

IT NOW SEEMS THAT ACADEMIA IS USING BP(BEFORE PRESENT!)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit