The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil

by cheezy 9 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• cheezy
    cheezy

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

A famous quote that surely has come up here before....?

Can we talk?

• carla
    carla

Is that a quote from Burke?

• cheezy
    cheezy

Attributed, yes.

• Confession
    Confession

Yes, we can talk, Cheezy!

I agree with (what I think is) the point you're making. I find it strange when I explain to fellow ex-JWs that I hope one day to help some of my family to see "the truth about The Truth." Sometimes they will become sarcastic, asking if I reeeeeally believe they'll listen to me. They occasionally tell me that I am "suffering" from the same mentality we had as JWs: misplaced evangelism. "Leave 'em alone. They have to figure it out for themselves," some say.

I understand that these people need to figure it out for themselves. But clearly others have been able to "help" them figure it out. I have no illusion that any of my family members will accept what I have to say when I finally hit them with the facts. But one day they just might. And their willingness to start thinking for themselves will come a lot sooner--if they know they have a loved one who has trodden that path before them.

• cheezy
    cheezy

Thank you, Confession.

Another example: I can thank Ray Franz for writing Crisis of Conscience because it was instrumental in bringing myclose family member out of the borg. I had suffered for ten years as the black sheep apostate, literally disowned by my family.

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men/women to do nothing."

• cheezy
    cheezy

Yes, women, too. Thank you Danny.

(smart-ass!)

• beksbks
    beksbks

Black Sheep is putting it mildly Cheezy! And then you tried corrupting ME!!

• Gregor
    Gregor

Well, there are some pretty smart people posting in here. I admire the on-point, clear thinking Cheezy and others about the WT debacle. I do think we have a responsibility to try and get out the word to those who might respond. The only problem is, in my case, I made such a big splash as the former high profile local JW community elder who grew horns and went apostate that I can't get within a mile of any potential JW 'turncoat'. They run screaming and clutching their crucifiX (Watchtower).

By the way, does anyone know where I could get some really kick ass green bud?

• Gregor
    Gregor

I thought the ."..triumph of evil..." quote was from Hugh Hefner.

He's better known for saying "Well, you're a long time dead" and "Seize the day!" and "Drink and eat Mary" and "hey, it burns when I piss!"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit