George Orwell, 1984 and Animal Farm

by thewiz 8 Replies latest jw friends

• thewiz
    thewiz

Have any out there read the books 1984 and Animal Farm? Also have any watched the movies of the same same?

Is it me? Or do those two stories strike a very familiar bell?

• AlanF
    AlanF

Many people, including some JWs, have noticed a strong similarity between the JW mindset and those described in 1984 and Animal Farm. Orwell's ideas about "doublethink" and "some animals are more equal than others" perfectly describe how JWs often think and act.

There's a fine book called The Orwellian World of Jehovah's Witnesses by a married couple (the Bottings) which may still be in print. It's a great read.

AlanF

• ballistic
    ballistic

Tou'll find a detailed comparison of the book 1984 and JWs at

http://www.freeminds.org/psych/1984.htm

If you like reading, very interesting.

What Goes Up Must Come Down

• waiting
    waiting

Hi Wiz,

There's a fine book called The Orwellian World of Jehovah's Witnesses by a married couple (the Bottings) which may still be in print. It's a great read. -AlanF

I don't believe it can be bought new - but libraries can order it in for a reader. If not the local library - University Libraries can. That's where I got my copy to read.

It breaks down 1984 into JW thinking. Strikingly similar.

I've read both books before - reread them both after leaving the WTBTS. Amazing what isn't picked up upon when a jw..........

waiting

• Liquidizer
    Liquidizer

I've read George Orwells book Year 1984 and seen the movie made according to it. Paralles are very striking with the two societys, the Engsoc and the WTS. It's a must to an apostate ;-) ...

L.

This is the noise that keeps me awake
    My head explodes
    And my body aches

-Garbage

• Englishman
    Englishman

Sorry, Liquidiser, I couldn't resist.

Finland, Finland, Finland,
    The country where I want to be,
    Pony trekking or camping,
    Or just watching TV.
    Finland, Finland, Finland.
    It's the country for me.

You're so near to Russia,
    So far from Japan,
    Quite a long way from Cairo,
    Lots of miles from Vietnam.

The country where I want to be,
    Eating breakfast or dinner,
    Or snack lunch in the hall.
    Finland has it all.
    You're so sadly neglected
    And often ignored,
    A poor second to Belgium,
    When going abroad.

The country where I quite want to be,
    Your mountains so lofty,
    Your treetops so tall.
    Finland has it all.

The country where I quite want to be,
    Your mountains so lofty,
    Your treetops so tall.
    Finland has it all.

Finland has it all.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Composer: Michael Palin
    Author: Michael Palin
    Arranger: John Du Prez
    Lead Singer: Michael Palin

..... fanaticism masquerading beneath a cloak of reasoned logic.

• Moxy
    Moxy

sing it once more for the fjords!

• thewiz
    thewiz

I believe I have the Orwellian World book, buried somewhere in my library, and read it many years ago. Want to read it again.

I also have both books by Ray Franz. Crisis of Conscience and, I believe the title is, In Search of Christian Freedom (reading this one on/off, right now) all from amazon.com. He is not completely full of himself, but then I don't think he is being entirely honest either.

I am still a JW (inactive, according to them), have been all my life. Consciously aware of and believing their teachings for 32+ years. Doubting many things for the last 2 years. I'm 42.

I still feel very deeply about the truth in the BIBLE and talk about it to co-workers, when asked what I believe on certain topics. I believe the bible, it's the witnesses that I doubt and/or challenge.

I have had several Elders come to my house, I have recommended to them that they should read/watch those two by Orwell. See if they see any striking similarities.

My brother-in-law was just visiting me and my family last week. He's a Bethelite elder (read that aloud with a Megaphone). Please bow. Everything he parrots is right and everthing I've studied is wrong. We all know what that means in the echelons of the witnesses.

I challenged him on teachings the witnesses believe and his reply was, "No one is forcing you to believe these things, they aren't threatening to kick you out if you don't. There's not a gun to your head."

Apparently he wants to remain oblivious to the fact what every witness knows, either consciously or subconsciously, that if you want to start challenging them on the quality and veracity of their teachings, you stand to lose just about everything. And that is an overwhelming thought for anyone to swallow.

• Liquidizer
    Liquidizer

Thanks. A nice humorous song ;-)) ... Btw, Michael Palin is a good comedian and a good traveller. Seen his travels on BBCWorld.

L.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit