Could My Parents Be Softening Up

by Bstndance 9 Replies latest jw friends

• Bstndance
    Bstndance

Saturday I called my mom and she was telling me about my little brother's robotic competition that he's involved in. Apparently, his team has made the state finals and they had the competition the next day. I'm starting to think she's softening on the whole WT thing for these reasons:

1) She talks to me often and hasn't threatened shunning in over a year. She used to ask "what are you going to do about the truth?" on a monthly basis. I was baptized at a young age and left when I came out of the closet but was never disfellowshipped.

2) She's letting my little brother participate in after school activities which would have never been allowed when I lived at home.

3) She's missing a meeting to bring my brother to the competition. Her only complaint about going to the competition was that she has to be there so early in the morning.

This is all good news. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

I surely do hope the best for you in that regard!

But for me, even though my mom has been a dyed-in-the-wool dub for 55 years, she cycles, but only in her attitude toward me, not toward the Society (doesn't that sounds sinister!?!..."the Society")--for a while she won't have anything to do with me except "necessary business," then she treats me like a normal daughter (or close to it) for a while. I just hope that each "softening" is becoming a little softer...who knows?

~Merry

• serendipity
    serendipity

Hi bstndance,

This is good new for all of you! Let's hope she keeps softening.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Remember, we've had about two month's straight of hard-hitting guilt-inducing articles. I had predicted a bit of obedience-exhaustion about now. Enjoy it while it lasts, and provide lots of positive feedback to your mom when she behaves normally.

Next year is a doozie, "Obey God rather than men." If we can convince our loved ones that these "men" include the "imperfect men" in authority over them in the society, we may be in business.

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

Sure... Got a baseball bat?

Keep working! Smaaaaaaaaalllll steps are best and don't let them see how far they've come! Once they get about halfway out then let them see where they started but if you try all at once your bound to lose!

good luck!

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

It certainly sounds like they are softening up; this is excellent news and I hope it continues.

Jgnat, if you have forgiven me for introducing Jello into one of your threads last week; If it wasnt your thread ignore me...its too late at night for us here....either way I completely agree with your previous comment!

DB74

• jgnat
    jgnat

Jello? Thread? Completely escaped me. Diamondblue, I am a naturally forgiving person, because I forget nearly everything that isn't written down. No troubles.

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974
    Jello? Thread? Completely escaped me. Diamondblue, I am a naturally forgiving person, because I forget nearly everything that isn't written down. No troubles.

As you have probably realise my memory is shocking too...I think you were there or had posted...all I can remember is that normally my posts are serious and I was acting the nutter...again...no harm done I suppose. DB74

• Es
    Es

Hope it continues for you

all the best

es

• Bstndance
    Bstndance

Thanks everyone!

One time the topic of scientology came up. My mom was talking about Tom and Katie or something and mentioned how wierd the religion was. I said, "yeah it's crazy, i read an article that says that scientologists cut off all social ties with non-believers so it makes them harder to leave" Wonder if she was able to reflect on that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit