• Believe that Christ and God are separate persons
    • Avoid the use of blood transfusions
    • Believe the dead are just dead
    • Believe in a paradise earth not just heaven
    • Do not vote
    • DO not salute the flag
    • Do not celebrate holidays
    • Etc

My point is this - Jw's claim divine appointment, and they attempt to defend it by these and other 'special doctrine'. Some, in seeking to create doubts have hit this brick wall. Can we point to other religions that share some of these same doctrines, or others that are 'unique to Jehovah's witnesses' as they say? It might help someone to slay a dragon.

Jeff

• carla
    carla

Is this a quiz? Ok, then one of our religions experts can give the 'correct' answers-

• Do not go to war --Amish, Mennonites, Bible Students, & ?
    • Preach door to door ---Mormons, some Ev. Lutherans, some Baptist, some Methodists, some Fundies, & ?
    • Believe that Christ and God are separate persons ---Mormons, Universilists, Anabaptist, Christadelphians
    • Avoid the use of blood transfusions ----Amish? Mennonites? Christian Scientists?
    • Believe the dead are just dead --Christadelphians, Universilists (some)? Bible Students (or related)?
    • Believe in a paradise earth not just heaven --?
    • Do not vote ---Amish, Mennonites, relatives of Bible Students
    • DO not salute the flag ---Amish, Mennonites, relatives of Bible Students
    • Do not celebrate holidays --(traditional holidays or any?)
    • Etc
  • under74
    under74

Well most quakers and amish don't go to war. Mormons preach door to door...and so do some other pentacostle type religions in my area. Muslims believe christ and god are separate. I went to elementary school with some muslim kids that wouldn't salute the flag. I know these kids weren't being brought up the same way as alot of others in Islam though. Again- the muslim kids I went to school with would go to the library during celebrations...same as me. And they resented it as much as I did...

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

G'day Jeff,

Interesting question!

As you point out, much of what the WTS claim is mainstream christian teaching is a furphy to promote their "us and them" scenario which they desparately need in order to gain the 'loyalty' of the R&F.

So, to your list:

• Do not go to war Many christians don't go to war but unlike the JWs they are not told what they must do - it's an individual choice for them.
  • Preach door to door Well, the minister of the church I attend does just that - and so do I! However, we do it for a specific reason, not to peddle literatuure. We visit people in their homes to make ourselves and our church known to them.
  • Believe that Christ and God are separate persons This derives from the WTS' misrepresentation of the Trinity doctrine. Christians believe that the Father and the Son are separate. - Yet at the same time the same.
  • Avoid the use of blood transfusions Wouldn't have a clue what christians believe, it's a personal issue, but I doubt they'd avoid blood transfusions. After all, the prohibition doesn't make sense to the R&F dubs any more, does it?
  • Believe the dead are just dead I don't get this! The dubs believe that at death their spirit returns to God - what's the diff? Christians believe they are "with the Lord" but await the Lord's Return for a bodily resurrection.
  • Believe in a paradise earth not just heaven Oh, that's a real fraud! Of course, christians believe in a "paradise earth" - that's what Peter wrote with the words "new heavens and a new earth". Revelation speaks of New Jerusalem coming down to earth. It seems a uniting of heaven and earth "in the Lord" will take place. Of course, they don't have pictures of kids playing with lions!
  • Do not vote Why not?
  • DO not salute the flag Damned rude not to, i reckon!
  • Do not celebrate holidays Interesting that. Many devout christians don't celebrate a glitzy xmas at all but they do celebrate the spiritual aspect of the Immanuel "God with us".
  • blondie
    blondie

• Do not go to war--Quakers, Mennonites, Amish, Buddhists, Churth of the Brethren, UUs
    • Preach door to door--some Baptists and Pentacostals, Mormons/LDS, (door-to-door evangelism)
    • Believe that Christ and God are separate persons

Nontrinitarian groups

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nontrinitarian#Nontrinitarian_groups

• Avoid the use of blood transfusions--Amish, Christian Scientists
    • Believe the dead are just dead--Bible Students, Christadelphians
    • Believe in a paradise earth not just heaven--Bible Students
    • Do not vote--Amish
    • DO not salute the flag--Amish
    • Do not celebrate holidays--Amish
    • Etc
  • AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Interesting comments.

I live in the midst of Amish, have spent thousands of hours in the so called preaching work in Amish territory. But I was unaware that they did not celebrate holidays. I used to work with them too, and I thought they did the Christmas holiday at least. Could be wrong on that.

I was looking for denominational communities that did/did not do these things. But Ozzie, as usual, your comments regarding Christians as individuals is right on. With the borgs insistence on 'organization' and not on individual choices as a Christian, I doubt that would hold much water with center-fold witnesses in any argument to overturn the 'witness uniqueness'. But the points are right on.

Jeff

• blondie
    blondie

The Amish do not celebrate all the holidays that those around them do.

Celebrating Christmas is different too.

As might be expected, Amish Christmas customs are simple, oriented to the family and the religious meaning of the holiday. So, Amish children don’t visit Santa Claus in the store. There is no lavishly decorated Christmas tree in the home. And strings of colorful electric lights do not grace the front of the Amish house. But the making of special cookies and candies is certainly a part of the holiday activities. Greens and candles may decorate some home interiors. School children often pick names and exchange small gifts, such as writing paper or a needlepoint kit. Families usually exchange some small gifts as well. Some Amish also send Christmas cards, often to their "English" friends.

The Christmas church service may or may not be held on December 25th, but both Christmas and the following day, sometimes called "second Christmas," are holidays for the Amish. This second day is usually one of relaxation or visiting others. Christmas dinners are a special part of the celebration, These are usually large meals, not unlike those served at weddings, and various groups beside the family will hold get-togethers, such as single women, teachers, and others of like interest. These gatherings may continue into January and February of the New Year.

One of the highlights of the Christmas season, for children and their parents, is the Christmas program held in many of the one-room schools. Beforehand there is much rehearsal and perhaps some simple decorations made by the children for the school. At one Amish school, children worked on making a quilt showing the school and eight apple trees, for the eight grades. Each tree had an apple for each student in that grade, along with his or her name.

On the day of the presentation, carriages arrive and parents file anxiously into the room. Some, of course, may have more than one child attending in grades one through eight. Stories, plays, and songs are filled with humor and messages of the meaning of the season. And this is one of the few times you will ever see Amish children on a "stage" or "performing for an audience."

http://www.amishnews.com/amisharticles/amishchristmas.htm

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff
    On the day of the presentation, carriages arrive and parents file anxiously into the room. Some, of course, may have more than one child attending in grades one through eight. Stories, plays, and songs are filled with humor and messages of the meaning of the season. And this is one of the few times you will ever see Amish children on a "stage" or "performing for an audience."

Thanx Blondie - not far from my 'neck o' the woods' is an Amish run tourist trap [for lack of a better term]. It is called 'Amish Acres', and they have a full blown schedule of stage plays. I have not ever been, although it is not too far really, and I don't know if the actors are Amish or not. In this area, there are several very good down home cookin' restuarants run by the Amish. One thing those folks can do is cook.

Actually, I admire them in many ways. When they say they are no part of the world, I think they mean it. Of course there is always compromise in this modern age, but mostly I think they stick to thier guns on doctrine. But they too practice a very bitter and hateful form of 'shunning'. Few ever get out of the Amish 'box' unscathed I hear. Some have become witnesses. Talk about from the frying pan to the fire.

Jeff

• Share this

Google+
    Pinterest
    Reddit