Is Christ Mankind's Mediator?

by SWALKER 7 Replies latest watchtower bible

• SWALKER
    SWALKER

This is a continuation of the thread started under "Just had some fun with dubs at my door" and I thought that because the subject was more regarding the issue of Mediator, I'd just start a new thread.

I hope that posters can tell in their own words how they understand this subject and not cut and post from the Watchtower. We are all well aware of their views on the subject. I for one, studying several years ago, came to the conclusion that I didn't agree with their explanation, that Christ was the Mediator only for the 144,000. Here are a few of my thoughts on it:

Different Thoughts Regarding New Covenant

Starting with the prophesy in Jeremiah 31: 31-34 it states that their would be a “new covenant” (one to replace the old covenant made with Moses) and through this they would have forgiveness for their sins. Fast forward to Luke 22:20 where Jesus said that “this cup means the New Covenant by virtue of my blood, which is to be poured out in your behalf.” He said “keep doing this in remembrance of me”. Did you read anywhere that they were not to participate? He is activating (mediating) the new covenant and everyone that gets forgiveness of sins has to be included in the new covenant. If anyone is not in the new covenant there can be no basis for forgiveness of sins…so they are still living in sin and therefore can’t approach God. End of Memorial celebration.

On down in verses 28-30 is where he instituted a covenant for a Kingdom…for some to sit on thrones and judge the twelve tribes of Israel. Still part of the new covenant arrangement just an added feature. There was no special classification…only that of accepting the value of the ransom sacrifice/pouring out of his blood made by Christ, recognizing it as our only means to approach God. All of us. The only way we can approach God through prayer is by accepting him as the mediator/ransomer between us and God. All that believe that he died for us have the obligation to keep the Memorial he instituted and take part in eating the bread and wine showing we are his disciples. It is the basis for everlasting last…wherever HE decides to put us. According to Eph.4:4, there is only 1 body, 1 faith.

Swalker

• Carmel
    Carmel

All of the Christs have been!

carmel

• defd
    defd

Hi swalker. I am not ignoring your post but man am I tired. I will comment on it tomarrow, not as if you care but were discussing it a bit yesterday.

D.

• JeffT
    JeffT

The reason I wanted to use this on the dubs at my door is because this was THE issue that pushed my wife out of the Watchtower. She'd been a Christian long before she became a witness and she just couldn't square this with what she knew of the Bible. (I had different issues but we started questioning at about the same time.)

Having a mediator is a simple logical way to explain bridgeing the gulf between God an humanity. When the striking impoverished union and the greedy capitalist owners can't come to an agreeement you bring in a mediator to resolve the problem. Same idea. The WTBS can't have it simple because they have to impose their idea of two levels of salvation on it.

• SWALKER
    SWALKER

Having a mediator is a simple logical way to explain bridgeing the gulf between God an humanity. When the striking impoverished union and the greedy capitalist owners can't come to an agreeement you bring in a mediator to resolve the problem. Same idea. The WTBS can't have it simple because they have to impose their idea of two levels of salvation on it.

Nicely worded Jeff...They make everything so complicated. Again, I think it has to do with CONTROL, as if THEY know more than the average person. After reading COC, it really hit home that they don't have any more insight than the average individual, perhaps even less. What's interesting to me is that I have an older brother, graduated Valedictorian of a large graduating class, gave up a full college scholarship, went to Bethel for 4 years, special pioneered for 10+, proofed articles for Watchtower, etc., etc., etc. We started comparing notes a few years ago...he has faded also, and we both were coming from the same point of view on the above. The more we studied the more we uncovered!!! Opened up a whole new way of thinking for both of us and extended members of our family. There is just so many statements that the Watchtower issues as facts and JW's assume they are. Too bad more don't do the research...

Recently, I had a neice, (with whom I have never discussed any dissenting issues) approach me and ask if I had noticed that the Watchtower wasn't backing up their statements with scriptures. She had also noted that the verses cited in some cases did not have anything to do with the point they were making. For the last 6 months, she has been working 2nd shift...meaning she hasn't been attending meetings! (She has 3 1/2 years of college under her belt and is used to researching/comparing...hope she continues!)

Swalker

• reaper
    reaper

Just found this thread. Was a JW for 49 years, served as an Elder, and once when I prayed in the name of Jesus our MEDIATOR I was councelled that he WASN'T OUR mediator. Ever since that time I realised that they were teaching falsehoods.

It still took us a few more years to fianally get out. I believe that this ONE point is something that MOST JWs do not even realise and many need to know about.

• blondie
    blondie
    Recently, I had a neice, (with whom I have never discussed any dissenting issues) approach me and ask if I had noticed that the Watchtower wasn't backing up their statements with scriptures. She had also noted that the verses cited in some cases did not have anything to do with the point they were making.

Good point.

The WTS has a one size fits all scripture:

Matthew 24:45-47

WTS = FDS = in control of everything = what they say is from God

• Honesty
    Honesty
    If anyone is not in the new covenant there can be no basis for forgiveness of sins…so they are still living in sin and therefore can’t approach God.

Shhhh. The Governing Body can't afford for the dubs to learn this.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit