Rules, rules and more rules!

by Golf 5 Replies latest jw friends

• Golf
    Golf

I've already stated that baseball was my religion as a kid and sports has been number one in my life.

I've played close to forty years in competitive golf, thirty years in the amateur ranks the rest in the pro ranks.

If you think that the org. has lots of rules then I suggest you don't take up competitive golf because it would make the society's rules look like child's play.

I've made this comment before and I'm going to say it again. In golf 'rules' are designed to SAVE you strokes, NOT handicap you.

For ten years I lost my zip for golf all because of CHEATERS! I was the only player (enough balls) ever to report fellow golfers for cheating. Who did these cheaters cheat? They cheated themselves, the field and me.

I can tell you plenty of stories about cheaters. The following are a couple of examples. I played in Jamaica some years ago and this official told his personal friend, "..., you can cheat, just don't get caught." This professional had been cheating over the years and they never caught him. Well, they finally did and he was suspended to play in Florida, Jamaica and Quebec. Mind you, this professional didn 't have to cheat he was good but he did. His name was announced on the golf sport news in Jamaica, how embarrassing.

I played with this particlr golfer in a qualifying round and he shot 75. I literally saw a golfer cheat him out of playing the actual tournament and I reported to the official. A fellow goler saw the incident but kept his mouth shut. The golfer who should have qualified was 'deprived' of playing in the official tournament while the cheater got in!

It may interest you to know that the #2 golfer in the world was caught cheating on the Asian tour many moons ago, and he was suspended for ten years!

In an amateur tournament in Boston, I didn't finish my round and I told the official why, but since he didn't report my reason I was suspended to play in any of the USGA for many years. The only reason why I was accepted back was because I had changed my status, I turned pro. These are the rules people.

In competitive golf, when your in doubt about a ruling, play two balls and the official will make the ruling. One golfer who 'won' the US Open in the fifties was disqualified for NOT signing his scorecard.

This forum has rules. As I said, golf rules are designed to 'save' you strokes 'not' handicapping you.

Golf

• nilfun
    nilfun
    If you think that the org. has lots of rules then I suggest you don't take up competitive golf because it would make the society's rules look like child's play.

Hey, I'll take your word for it... but I just wish I had been allowed to play by the rules in sports, any sport(!), than be subjected to the JW rules as a kid. I was asked a couple of times to participate, but was not permitted. The weird thing is, my older sibling was given permission to play competitive sports (volleyball, track, basketball, swim team and I'm sure I might have forgotten one or two, lol). Now how do you like them apples? Sheesh! One thing I learned early on, life just ain't fair sometimes. But I try to look at the bright side of things (I'm glad at least one of us kids was given the freedom to play team sports) and I do have a lot to be happy about now.

• Golf
  • Golf
    Golf

nilfun, it saddens me to hear stories of your nature. Are you handicapped in some way or were you not outright permitted to play?

Have you talked to your brother about his involvement in sports and what he has to go through? For me, it was my passion. You know, when your into serious sports you really don't care what goes on in the world. In sports you can't afford to have any distractions. If you allow any type of distractions to get in the way, say good-bye to whatever your doing.

I had to juggle my life to stay in sports. Raising a family and maintaining a business didn't give me enough time to be whole-souled, but I've managed. We all have differing circumstances and it takes mental gymnastics to have your pie and eat it too, now that's a rarity.

What are some of things you think about that is on the bright side of life? It would interest me to know.

The best.

Golf

• nilfun
    nilfun
    Are you handicapped in some way or were you not outright permitted to play?

No, I was healthy and hale. I was just not allowed to play. Period. It was my older sister who was able to play competitively, and it really gave her a great advantage in her adult day-to-day life. She is definitely much better socialized than I -- and I think that her involvement in team sports had a lot to do with that. But it was frustrating for her coaches to see how much crap she had to put up with in order to participate. I mean, she was given the green light to play, but she didn't get all the support at home that she deserved. And I remember her trying her best to teach me some sports principles, like how not to let "the opponent" (whomever that might be) psych me out, stuff like that.

What are some of things you think about that is on the bright side of life?

Well, my boy is part of the gifted program at school, and his team just won the alpha "academic bowl". I'm very happy about that. Even though it is probably too late for me to do some things, I feel good knowing that my children are escaping the way that I was raised in the JWs.

• Golf
    Golf

Thanks nilfun. I have to admit, stories like yours gets under my skin. When it comes to sports, nothing gets in my way.

Its' hard for me understand how your older sister could participate in sports but you couldn't. I would think a younger child would have easier access to activities than an older one.

She may not have gotten the support from home, but at least she was given the green light, that was a big plus on her side. She's on the mark about nobody psyching you out. The org. does a good job in that dept.

As for your boy, support him all the way, he'll love you for it. Yogi Berra the former catcher for the NY Yankess had a saying, "Its' never over till its' over." Apply this to your situation, its' never to late for anyone to reach their goals and that includes you.

Have a happy.

Golf

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit