Overcoming objections/annoying the householder!

by Virgogirl 5 Replies latest jw experiences

• Virgogirl
    Virgogirl

At the doors, did you try hard to keep them talking? We thought the longer we could keep them listening, the better our chances of "striking a chord in their hearts!" For example:

Sister Virgogirl: " Good morning, we were just visiting our neighbors this beautiful morning!"

Harries Householder: "Oh, did you move in across the street?"

Sister Virgogirl: "No, but all of us are neighbors in God's eyes and we are here to share some good news!"

Householder: "I'm just leaving to take my sick kids to the doctor, I can't talk now."

SV: "Oh, wonderful! Then you'll be happy to hear that soon, God will wipe away sickness and we will live forever in perfect health!"

Householder: " Oh jeez, my kids are yelling at me to hurry up! I have to go."

SV: "What perfect timing for me to have stopped by! Did you know, the Bible shows us how we can raise our children to be loving and respectful of their elders? Let's turn to a scripture at... OH! Guess she closed the door on me! Well, not everyone has a hearing ear. Let's go, Sister Knocksrealsoftly! Some of them just don't want to hear the message!"

• serendipity
    serendipity

Hi Virgogirl,

It really depended on how the householder looked and acted. If it was a gruff, scary, crazy-looking person, I just said thank you and have a nice day. If the person looked safe, I would try to overcome the objection - once. After that, I was out of there.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I remember one "experience" related by a CO. I cannot confirm whether it really happened or if it was yet another watchtower lie, but here goes:

(Blah, blah, blah... = vocalization of cult propaganda)

A pioneer went to a door and a man wearing a turban answered.

pioneer: Hi, nice to find you home today. Blah, blah, blah...
    Householder: I'm Sikh.
    pioneer: I'm so sorry to hear that. As I was saying, Blah, blah, blah...
    Householder: I'm Sikh.
    pioneer: Yes, there's a bad flu going around. Blah, blah, blah...
    Householder: Look, please, I'm Sikh!
    pioneer: Maybe you should see a doctor. Blah, blah, blah...
    Householder: LOOK, I AM NOT CHRISTIAN!!! I AM SIKH!!! *slams door*
    pioneer: *looks at partner* I wonder what was wrong with him???

W

• blindersoff
    blindersoff

I would usually take one shot at an objection under normal circumstances. In the one you described, I would hand out a tract & split. I refused to go to a door before 10:00. I really did hate to bother people. Guess I must not have been convinced that my particular visit was all that important in the overall scheme of things.

One time even after only my one effort, the guy started walking back to the house to get his gun. A reasonable neighbor kindly advised me to leave. I did. (Rejoicing to be persecuted)

B

• TallTexan
    TallTexan

There was a time when I would try that, but then I realized that it didn't really matter. If they wanted to hear, they'd act interested. If they didn't, what was the point of annoying them. Actually, I was hoping they'd act disinterested, because I usually wasn't prepared to go any deeper than the 30-second mag presentation......

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

I always found a lot of their overcoming objections to be excessively rude, can't you see these people are politely trying to get you to leave them alone? Such as "is it just jehovah's witnesses you are not interested or are you not interested in (the bible in general/the kingdom message/the words of jesus).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit