That Christmas Feeling

by Steve Lowry 4 Replies latest jw friends

• Steve Lowry
    Steve Lowry

When I was about eight years old a JW lady knocked on our door and my life changed. Up until that time we were a fairly normal family who celebrated Christmas and the like. Funny, but I don't remember being upset about not having Christmas anymore at that age. I just accepted my new life and forgot all about it (Christmas). When I left (the WBTS) in 1979 my new girlfriend's family were big time into Christmas. I tried to ‘get into it’, but it seemed I had lost something and I have never really gotten it back. You know what I mean, that Christmas "feeling". I have never really experienced it again like I did as a little kid. Maybe its just part of growing up. I dunno. But I see lots of people of all ages getting caught up in the spirit of the holiday. I think I'm kinda jealous actually. I enjoy seeing my little girl (age ten) getting all exited about it now and that helps me get in touch somewhat with those old feelings. But for me, it’s mostly just another day in the week. And that’s Okay. I guess I was just wondering if other former JW's (especially those who may have been not JW's at an early age) have lost that feeling for Christmas like I have. I guess its just another area of my life that the Watchtower Society has managed to desensitize for me. WTF, it ain’t that bigga deal, I was just wondering about others experiences is all. I guess this is prolly a topic that comes up every year here on the forum. If this is a rehash, I’m sorry for posting. It’s just that it’s that time of year, and it’s on my mind again.

Steve

• alreadygone
    alreadygone

My parents became JW's when I was around 4/5. I have no memories of childhood holidays. Even so, now as an adult, who has only been celebrating the holidays for around 4 years, I LOVE them. I love creating greating memories with my kids. Christmas is my favorite!!

However, I do know what you are talking about because my husband feels the same way. He would be fine if we continued to not celebrate any holidays.

• Cellist
    Cellist

Steve, my husband and myself both feel that way. We put up decorations for everyone else's sake. I don't mind Christmas, but I can't get really worked up about it.

My sister-in-law who was raised JW really got into Christmas when she first exited. Now she's not quite as enthusiastic.

Cellist

• Steve Lowry
    Steve Lowry

Yea, its kinda sad isn't it?

• Mulan
    Mulan

My family became JW's when I was 4. I remember Christmas though, and have vivid memories of the tree and the bubble lights.

We have had a tree for 3 years and the first thing I shopped for was bubble lights, and I found them, just like the ones from when I was 4 years old. That was a thrill.

I love it.

I talked to my niece tonight, who was also raised a JW and she just is loving Christmas so much. She said she can't get enough decorations, lights and everything else. She has a piano, and is learning new Christmas songs, playing them and singing with her boyfriend and his young son.

For all of us, it took time to feel comfortable, but eventually you can let it all go..........the past, and the pleasure of the future will come.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit