impact of meetings/assemblies on my non-JW life

by limbogirl 6 Replies latest jw experiences

• limbogirl
    limbogirl

I grew up JW and like many of you spent countless hours in boring meetings and long assemblies that seemed to go on forever. As a little kid I developed a talent for sitting at the meeting or assembly and looking as though I were paying attention but honestly I wasn't even in the room. I perfected this over a number of years and now find that as a non-JW adult it's really a problem. I work for a large corporation in management and of course attend a ton of meetings, conference calls and the like and it takes every thing I have to stay focused and on topic. Seems that the minute I sit down in a meeting that lasts longer than 30 minutes I'm gone -- checked out -- in another world. It's an automatic response and I feel like it's because of the hours upon hours of my life in which this was a survival technique. Sometimes at the end of a business meeting I have no idea what was even discussed. Anyone else experience this?

• serendipity
    serendipity

Hi limbogirl,

I've had a different outcome of the same experiences. I HAD to listen during meetings and assemblies, because I'd get quizzed afterwards, and then get beat if I didn't answer the questions correctly. As a result, I have the valuable skill of listening, analyzing and synthesizing material presented during very boring business meetings.

• Jez
    Jez

No, I am hungry for knowledge, it excites me now. I seem to pay attention more in my university courses most of my other classmates. I believe that it comes down to the fact that I relish the thought of:

*being in a place that I want to be

*I can publically disagree

*I can participate in respectful debates

*I can give my opinion freely

*I am furthering my education in a useful way

*I am feeding my brain useful information

*I am still awed by the concept there is no 'right' answer, just be able to support your opinion

*I always use to take notes during assemblies and meetings to stay focused, so taking meaningful notes comes easy to me.

Maybe you need to give your brain time and knowledge to separate from what it is used to doing to what it wants to be doing. A re-training program for your brain. Maybe the meetings you are attending really are dry and boring. Can't do anything about that. It may not be your background as a JW at all. Could be a ton of other things.

Hope that helped...Jez

• limbogirl
    limbogirl

serendipity: that's terrible -- i guess the silver lining is that it prepared you well for later life. some of my colleagues have a really hard time sitting through lengthy presentations...i have no trouble at all! can sit for hours and look perfectly attentive and engaged -- now if i could just not zone out everytime i'm at one of these things. jez: thanks for the reply -- you sound so happy -- i wish you the best in pursuit of your education.

• FreeWilly
    FreeWilly

Don't worry limbogirl,

I do it to --- ALL THE TIME!

I guess it's because I'd rather be doing almost anything else.

• stillAwitness
    stillAwitness

perhaps you just have ADD. They have it on adults too.

A nice handful of colorful pills should clear that right up!!

Tom cruise won't be jumping on the couch over that one!

• young hearts, be free..
    young hearts, be free..

I guess I'm fortunate enough that in my day-to-day work as a carpenter/builder I have no flashbacks or hangovers from sitting in the meetings or assemblies. The only time those bastards come back to haunt me is if I'm having to listen at a product seminars or safety/skills courses......then the zone-out occurs.......... Mind you, sometimes I'm reminded of the serene, joyous quickbuild's via my job .......Now on those things I sooooo needed a radio or least to say...."FUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK" on occasion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit