Are you a thinker?

by alamb 9 Replies latest jw friends

• alamb
    alamb

The Recovering Thinker

Hi, my name is Bob, and I am a recovering thinker….

It started out innocently enough: I began thinking at meetings now and then to loosen up. Inevitably though, one thought led to another and soon I was more than just a theocratic thinker. I began to think alone, you know, “to relax,” I told myself, but I knew it wasn’t true.

Thinking became more and more important, and finally I was thinking all the time. I even thought at the Kingdom Hall. I knew thinking and my position in the congregatin didn’t mix, but I couldn’t stop. I began avoiding the friends at lunchtime so I could read Crisis of Conscience and other works that challenged my thought processes. I returned to the Kingdom Hall dizzied and confused, asking, “What exactly are we doing here?”

Things weren’t great at home either. One evening I turned off the TV and asked my wife about the meaning of life guided by the FDS—she spent the night at her mother’s.

I soon had a reputation as a heavy thinker. One day the PO called me into the back room and said, “Bob, I like you, and it hurts me to say this, but your thinking is a real problem. If you don’t stop thinking, I’ll have to recommend you be disfellowshipped.” This gave me a lot to think about.

I went home early after my conversation with the elder. “Honey,” I confessed, “I’ve been thinking.”

“I know you’ve been thinking,” she said, “and I want a divorce.”

“But Honey, surely it’s not that serious.”

“It is serious,” she said, lower lip quivering. “You have been a fine window washer all your life and your service to Jehovah comes before the children and I having health insurance or educations.”

“That’s faulty syllogism,” I said impatiently, and she began to cry. I’d had enough. “I’m going to the library to look up what really happened in 607/587,” I snarled and stomped out the door. I headed to the library in the mood for enlightenment, roared into the parking lot, and ran up to the big glass doors—they didn’t open. The library was closed.

To this day I believe Jehovah was looking out for me that night. As I sank to the ground clawing at the unfeeling glass, whimpering for a computer with an internet connection to feed my starving mind, a magazine caught my eye; a Watchtower left in a laundromat. The words “Friend, is heavy thinking ruining your life?” stood out in large letters. You may recognize the line: it comes from the standard issue “Thinkers Anonymous” poster.

Today, I am a recovering thinker. I never miss a meeting . At each meeting we listen to a non-educational, self congratulatory public talk. I am again training my mind to be numb. Then we share experiences about how we avoided thinking since the last meeting. I still have my family and things are a lot better at home. Life just got easier, somehow, once I stopped thinking.

Soon, I’ll be able to be an elder again….

Thanks, Bob

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

That was a good one, alamb!

Logicholics Anonymous
    Are you a logicholic? Do you find yourself eagerly awaiting your next session of thinking, possibly even daydreaming about it? Do you have to force yourself to stop thinking at times? Does thinking interfere with your daily spiritual routine?
    Well, you’re in luck! Jehovah’s Witnesses have just made available a program called "Logicholics Anonymous 12-Step Recovery Program." If you follow this easy 12-Step program you are sure to see results.

12 Steps1. Admit you are powerless over thinking—your mind has become unmanageable.
    2. Believe that a Power greater than yourself can restore sanity.
    3. Make a decision to turn your will and your life over to the care of the Governing Body, who is God’s only clearly identifiable representative on earth at this time.
    4. Make a searching and fearless moral inventory of yourself.
    5. Admit to elders and to yourself the exact nature of your wrongs. You can also admit it to God, if you want.
    6. Be entirely ready to work hard to remove all these defects of character (using only methods approved by the Governing Body).
    7. Humbly ask local elders to show you how to remove your shortcomings.
    8. Make a list of all persons you harmed, and be willing to forgive yourself for all their regrettable misunderstandings.
    9. Make direct attempts to correct such people wherever possible, even when to do so would injure them or others.
    10. Continue to take personal inventory and when you are wrong promptly pretend it never happened and engage in some form of Kingdom Service until you feel better.
    11. Seek through prayer and meeting attendance to improve your conscious contact with God, through Jesus and the Faithful and Discreet Slave, praying for knowledge of the Governing Body’s will for us and the power to carry that out.
    12. Try to carry this message to logicholics, and to practice these principles in all our affairs.

GUARANTEED RESULTS!

Simon writes: "I used to think all the time. When I was sad, I would think. When I was in a festive mood or partying, there I was, always thinking. I finally admitted I was a logicholic. I started the 12 Step process and was disfellowshipped a few months later! When they guarantee results, they mean it!"
    Defd says: "I come from a long line of habitual thinkers. I admit it, my ancestors were mostly logicholics. I started the 12 Step program after becoming addicted to thinking. I had no idea how alluring thinking can be. One moment you have no desire to think at all. You visit one Internet site and the next thing you know you have a thinking problem. I am in recovery now. I have only made it up to Step 4. I am afraid my results will be negative if I proceed to Step 5. I suppose that is eventually what I will do. But, I am not in any hurry."
    A friend in need expressed her desire to refrain from commenting: "Having completed the 12 Step program, I try to spread thoughtlessness and unoriginality wherever I go. My urge to think is still strong, but with constant effort I am able to suppress it. I highly encourage everyone to try this program, if that is what the Governing Body would want me to do. Visit watchtower.org! Commenting on this is tempting me to relapse into thinking again. I’d better refrain."
  • Frog
    Frog

that was a great read alamb, I suspect though that while it might have been written as a joke that many thousands of dubs could have written the very same thing about their real lives:( frog x

• alamb
    alamb

When I received it, my mind immediately translated into "apostothink" and it all fit. Thanks for the additional information on the support available!

• troucul
    troucul

no, just a stinker

• nilfun
    nilfun
    As I sank to the ground clawing at the unfeeling glass, whimpering for a computer with an internet connection to feed my starving mind...

Lol!

• carla
    carla

btt, just because it's too funny to pass up.

• alamb
    alamb

bttt

• alamb
    alamb

bttt...still makes me grin

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

gotta add my LOL here too!! funny ones!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest