hypochondria

by Ellie 3 Replies latest jw friends

• Ellie
    Ellie

I'm interested to know your views on this, do you think that Jehovahs Witnesses in general are more likely to be attention seeking hypochondriacs?

• tall penguin
    tall penguin

I think it's related to the thriving on crisis stuff I mentionned in my recent thread. Jws are programmed to see things as a crisis, as a test of their faith. So every little ache and pain is an inspiration for them to serve jehovah while enduring their hardship. And so, unwittingly, they may go looking for illness, as a means of appearing like the jw martyr they're expected to be. It's hard to get attention in the org unless you're unwell in some way.
    tall penguin

• metatron
    metatron

Good heavens, yes! My only critique of this is that JW's usually succeed in making themselves sick, beyond any fake claim.

If you really think you're sick , your body will respond. Weird allergies and chronic illnesses seem to be an epidemic in the organization.

Nor do they generally have sensible idea of what's making them sick - I've been with Witnesses whining about "pollution" in communities

in which all the industries left years ago - and the air is filled with pollen/spores. They never seem to catch on.

metatron

• luna2
    luna2

Being sick is one of the only excuses a JW has to take a break from it all. If they develop a nice chronic illness, they always have a way to avoid something they don't want to do, and if they do participate, they sometimes get extra kudos (from some) for making such an effort.

I know that sounds like I think that all JWs with illnesses are complete hypochondriacs, but I don't. I believe some develop very real illnesses because of depression and extreme guilt....and possibly mold at the KH.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit