Did your parents find you dates?

by Virgogirl 4 Replies latest jw experiences

• Virgogirl
    Virgogirl

Whe I hit 19, I was living at home and working, secretly saving up for a tiny apartment so I could fade. I was showing no interest in finding a "suitable marriage mate" in the truth. Suddenly, there started appearing at our Sunday meetings eligible young brothers from out of town, and they seemed to be meeting up with my parents Stranger still, they had been invited back to our house afterwards for lunch! This one guy really impressed my folks. He was a friend of Mom's cousin at Bethel, and worked at the Chicago Board of Trade. After lunch, he says coyly, "So, I was wondering if 'Virgogirl' would like to see a movie?" I said I had lots of errands ro run before work tomorrow, and left him to sit with the people who had invited him! But they didn't learn! The next guy was from a small farming town and made himself comfortable after lunch in the Lazyboy....and belched. Well, they invited him, I didn't, so I politely excused myself after awhile. It was the last thing on this earth I wanted to get into, just as I was almost ready to run for freedom! The loving husbandly headship of an MS, babies to get ready for endless meetings while hubby schmoozed to make elder, pioneering, etc. ARRRGH! Anyone else's family try to marry them off?

• SWALKER
    SWALKER

I didn't know I could do that!!! Thanks for the info! I can't wait to start helping my sons "find" girlfriends!!!

Swalker (of the naive parents association)

• jschwehm
    jschwehm

The only dates I got from my parents were 1975 and 1984.....;)

One thing that was always interesting was when I was a single pioneer.....Sometimes I would sit next to a young single, sister mainly because that might be the best seat in the Hall or one of the few that were left. However, by the next meeting, I was not only dating this sister....we were engaged to married shortly....

It always amazed me how those things happened so fast.

Jeff S.

www.catholicxjw.com

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Dates? Dates!!!

My mother dragged me around to meet men who were "eligible" (read any JW who was 20 years older than me - I was 16-17).

She actually found one, set up the "dates" (skating parties where she made sure he was going to come and pushed me to be to be friendly and movies where I had to drag along my little brothers), and then proposed to us. She told him he would have to find another book study to attend or marry me. Then she walked out of the room.

Considering he was not baptized yet, but he was only 2 years older than me instead of 20 yrs older, I agreed.

He had been coming to the book study for 5 months and at the end of June she made this proposal. I told her we would get married next year.

Well she hit the roof. We had to get married sooner. OK we'll elope. That didn't go too far either since he wasn't baptized yet.

He was getting baptized at the next DC on Aug 1. So she said we would have to be married the next week Aug 8. I had just turned 18.

• serendipity
    serendipity

My JW relatives have really shirked their duty in this area. As a teen, the few JW boys who came around came on their own initiative and I wasn't interested in any of them. So here I am 42 and still single. Could it be that "the brothers" sense I'm not exactly the submissive type?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit