WTBTS's Use of "Illustrations"

by Tashawaa 4 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Tashawaa
    Tashawaa

Remember "illustrations"... the WTBTS uses them to drive-home their points. For example, I can't get the illustration of "good parents who allow their child to undergo a painful operation for its own good" (with picture of parents heartbroken, and crying, reaching child being wheeled into operating room). This was suppose to help us "understand" why God allows the suffering today - for our future wellbeing.

Well, what if the parents had the power to heal the child without surgery. What if they could just say "hocus pocus" and it was all better??? Which choice would a loving parent make: would they use their powers, or allow a painful operation? Adds a different perspective, doesn't it?

Can you think of any other illustrations they used, that when you think about it now, can see how illogical they were?

I'll never forget one seminar I attended. The prof. was speaking to the subject of ethics, and one of the students raised their hand to make a comment (I'm assuming they were JW) - they used the old "frog in hot water (heat the water slowly, and the frog will adjust to the heat, won't jump out and die)". The prof looked at the student and simply said "humans aren't frogs" - next.

• Ténébreux
    Ténébreux

When explaining why they keep reversing their stance on various issues, they like to use the illustration of a sail boat "tacking" against the wind. The boat appears to be meandering left and right, but really it's being guided steadily forward.

What "wind" is God supposed to be struggling against that prevents him from revealing the truth the first time round, so that he must resort to this strategy?

• ghostbuster
    ghostbuster

I remember the one about the parents putting their child through surgery for it's long term well being and like you I often thought this analogy just doesn't wash but still I overlooked it's flaw.

How about the child or was it sheep sitting next to a lion.

I find it odd when they put good looking women with white gleaming teeth on the front cover of their magazines. It's obviously for sales purposes.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Tashwaa, illustrations are a great way to communicate to nonlinear people. I would LOVE to put together a bunch of JW illustrations and a refutation for each one, as I did for elder-speak.

One my hubby uses a lot that this world is like the Titanic, believed unsinkable, people oblivious, eating and drinking and dancing before their doom. I've told him I think the WTBTS is much more like the Titanic than the world. A small "community of believers" in the much larger world. Would he "jump ship" if I could prove that it were sinking, or would he remain, trusting the leaders that everything was under control?

• jgnat
    jgnat

Another one my hubby uses a lot, but I think he made it up himself.

He says that Christendom is like Tang, an artificial substitute for the real thing. He says, get the Real Orange Juice at the hall.

I guess a good refutation for this, is if all you ever drank is one brand, how would you KNOW unless you tried the other, which is real?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit