coarse joking

by I-CH-TH-U-S 4 Replies latest watchtower bible

• I-CH-TH-U-S
    I-CH-TH-U-S

based on eph 5:4-5,

4 Nor should there be obscenity, foolish talk or coarse joking, which are out of place, but rather thanksgiving. 5 For of this you can be sure: No immoral, impure or greedy person—such a man is an idolater—has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God

(basically coarse joking makes you an idolator and means you cant go to heaven or "paradise")

what exactly is coarse joking? is it swearing? is there an exception if you drop a knife on your foot? just some questions that come to my mind.

thanks

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

I am unsure about which Greek word "coarse joking" stands for in your translation of Ephesians 5:4 (if you could post the entire verse it would be clearer).

Assuming that it is the third and last in the list, eutrapelia, it is worth noting that it is generally not pejorative and denotes humour of good taste, witty jokes, at least for classical writers (Hippocrates, Diodorus of Sicily, Plato, Aristotle). Obviously here some questionable humour is suggested, but it is still about jokes, not swearing or cursing.

• I-CH-TH-U-S
    I-CH-TH-U-S

original post now has the verse (thought i put it in there, guess my ctrl-v didnt work) lol

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

So I assumed correctly...

(Btw, strictly speaking it's the "greedy" who is termed "idolater" -- but such "vices lists" are hardly strict speech.)

• anewme
    anewme

Is this a serious question?
    If it is, I'd like to comment.
    I dont think the scripture is talking about the occasional expletive announced when you drop a knife on your foot.

I think it is the low minded disrespectful speech that makes fun of sacred things. And by sacred things I mean the human body and women. I once had the sad experience of visiting the spinal ward of a hospital to share with the people there.

I remember one poor dismal man who had lost the use of his legs and was in a wheelchair. I actually was with my husband who was in a wheelchair too. We were part of a program to offer hope to those just recovering from spinal chord injury.

This man had the bad taste to ask us to hear a story which went on and on and he made us lean forward to hear him better... He ended with his hand gestures and finger movements and snickers and sexual inuendo.

I felt like he had just thrown feces all over me. I was very insulted. I felt tricked by this scummy
    paraplegic.

That my dear was very coarse joking with people who didnt want to hear it.

What a loser he was. I felt no pity for the scum bag after that. I identified him for years and avoided him.
    I lost all respect for him, because he had no respect for me.

Thats how I feel about coarse joking.

On the other hand a good clean laugh is great!
    Just yesterday at the family get together my husband was talking to another man about his new
    tool chest. My husband told the man that he uses little bags of silicon to help keep his tool drawers dry.
    We have many extras of these to share and so I innocently asked our guest "Do you get moisture in your drawers?"
    "Oh yes occasionaly" he replied as he looked down at his zipper, "But I seem to be fine right now!"

I thought I'd never stop howling!!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit