Question about Christmas

by Super_Becka 5 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Super_Becka
    Super_Becka

Hello everyone,

OK, I'm fairly new here and to the whole mess that is the realm of JWs and the WTS, introduced to this odd world because I'm dating an inactive JW (that's a whole other ball of wax, check out my other topic on this - http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/20/101985/1.ashx), but I've been doing some research and there's one question that's been really bugging me.

JWs don't celebrate Christmas, I think we all get that. They say that Christmas is pagan and therefore Satanic and all of that, so they've banned the celebration of Christmas (among other Christian holidays). I figured that it had been like this since the beginning of the WTS back in the 1870s, but I've found references to articles published in the Watchtower magazines in the early part of the 20th century that state that Christmas is a good time of year, that giving and charity and all of these things that come with the Christmas season are good and that celebrating Christmas is a good thing. I don't have the URLs for my sources at the moment, I have them bookmarked on my computer, so I'll have to dig them out, but when I find the right links, I'll update this post with them. In the meantime, one reference to the Watchtower magazine that I've found states that:

"Judge Rutherford, the Watchtower president at the time, was very excited about his "numerous Christmas presents " " (Watchtower - Jan. 15, 1919, P. 31) - http://www.letusreason.org/JW10.htm

My question is, who decided that Christmas is evil, why did they decide this and when did the WTS renounce Christmas?? Is there anyone out there who can at least partly answer these questions or maybe steer me in the direction of some answers??

Thanks!!

-Becka :)

• Aude_Sapere
    Aude_Sapere

I know you will get posts on this one...

Good investigation there!!

Celebrating Christmas is 'Old Light'.

'New Light' says that celebrating christmas will now get you disfellowshipped.

See also, 'Flip Flop Doctrines'.

-Aude.

• saved
    saved

My question is, who decided that Christmas is evil, why did they decide this and when did the WTS renounce Christmas?? Is there anyone out there who can at least partly answer these questions or maybe steer me in the direction of some answers?? Who came up with the ban? The Watchtower Governing Body. I don't know who was the exact person. If you can find out, that's great. Just find another teaching of that person that the current Watchtower admits as false. Then ask the JW "How can you trust this man's ban on Christmas if he was also wrong on _____"

Why did they ban Christmas? Simple. What do most people do on Christmas? Sing Christmas songs written by Orthodox Christians, attend Christian Churches, socialize with non-JW relatives and friends. This holiday is a big obstacle to the Watchtower's goal. To keep JWs away from non-JWs and Christians.

• Frogleg
    Frogleg

I am truely surprised that no one has used that line from "Kingdom Of Heaven" yet. So I guess I get to be first:

"God will understand. If He dosen't, then it is alright, because then He is not God."

• blondie
    blondie

Actually, Jehovah's Witnesses were not the first religion to ban Christmas.

The Pilgrims did not celebrate the religious holidays that we celebrate today. Like the English and Scottish Puritans, they held that customs taken from folklore and non-Christian writings were contrary to the spirit of Christianity. They knew that the dates of these celebrations were not based on the teachings of the Bible of history.

There are other more 'fundamental' Christian religions that also limit or curtail celebration.

For example:

http://www.sovereigngrace.net/should.htm

A little turn around the net will find a lot more.

I personally think that the then president of the organization, Rutherford, wanted to distance himself from Russell and the Bible Students (pre-1931 JWs) who were not supporting his doctrines and policies.

• Ticker
    Ticker

I agree with Blondie I believe it was an alienation tactic used by Rutherford. Not only did it distance him and the Organization from Russel but it also alienated the Society from Orthadox Christianity, thus effective in keeping converts restrained with its walls.

Ticker

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit