Regarding Resolutions

by Inquisitor 9 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Inquisitor
    Inquisitor

Hi all!

Does anyone here remember how we used to have Resolutions at Assemblies/Conventions? The speaker would crescendo into a lits of Resolutions to which the audience would readily (sleepily?) say "Aye!" or something to that effect.

When was the last time they did one? The last one I recall was sometime during the mid-90's. A District Convention I think. If there was one more recent, it would possibly be at an assembly instead of a convention.

Question 2: Does anyone know why we don't have these anymore? (aside from the fact that they are really really old-school. Think it was Rutherford's brainchild)

INQ

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

The last one I remember was in the eighties or nineties, but I can't remember what we were resolving. It was probably some sort of condemnation of either governments or other religions, but I'm sure I was half asleep.

They probably don't do it anymore because they know they can't condemn anyone anymore without condemning themselves at the same time.

W

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

Ya there was a "stay faithful to jehovah no matter what the world does" resolution a couple years ago.

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

Yeah, they really ramped up the resolution crap just before '75.

If you don't have anything real to offer people, shout real loud and others will follow you! lol Smoke and mirrors.

J

• blondie
    blondie

*** w04 1/15 p. 25 Give God Glory Not Man ***

The public discourse was followed by a summary of the Watchtower magazine’s lesson for that week. Then came the final talk, "‘Keep Bearing Much Fruit’ to Jehovah’s Glory." The speaker presented a ten-point resolution for all in attendance to adopt. It centered on various ways that glory can be given to Jehovah, the Creator. A unanimous "Aye" traveled through all the conventions from one end of the earth to the other. (2003 District convention)

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

Kingdom Ministry-1984-June-p. 3 Question Box • What procedure should be followed in presenting resolutions to the congregation? The local body of elders decides many matters affecting the congregation. In making decisions, these responsible brothers are guided by Bible principles along with suggestions or direction provided by the Society. However, there are certain decisions in which the congregation shares, requiring a resolution. These matters would include obtaining a better place of meeting, purchasing property, remodeling or building a Kingdom Hall, sending contributions to the Society to further Kingdom interests, and so forth. Normal operating expenses do not require a resolution, but all major or out-of-the-ordinary expenditures should be approved by the congregation in resolution form. How are resolutions prepared and presented? The body of elders thoroughly discusses the matter, considering what is in the best interest of the congregation and the Kingdom work. After they come to an agreement, an elder, perhaps a member of the congregation’s service committee, will prepare a written resolution stating clearly the recommendations of the elders. During a Service Meeting the relevant facts and proposed resolution will be discussed. The elder handling the matter will allow congregation members the opportunity to ask questions if something is not clear. If a major decision is involved, the elders may allow the congregation a week or so to consider it before voting. If the congregation wishes to accept the resolution as presented without further discussion, the chairman will call for a show of hands of those who favor and then of any who may not favor the resolution. If the majority of dedicated and baptized publishers are in favor of the proposal, the elders can follow through with what has been approved. With the exception of cases where legal requirements stipulate otherwise, all dedicated and baptized publishers would be allowed to vote on matters presented in a resolution. When considering corporation matters, Kingdom Hall loans, and so forth, it may be necessary to use parliamentary procedure in order to comply with legal requirements and the bylaws of the corporation. For example, sometimes it is necessary to record the name of the brother who made a motion to adopt the resolution and the name of the brother who seconded the motion, as well as how many voted for it and against it. If such parliamentary procedure is not directly required, it would suffice simply to call for a vote on the matter after it has been considered by the congregation. In any event, written resolutions that are adopted should be signed and dated by the responsible elders before filing them with the records of the congregation.

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz
    A unanimous "Aye" traveled through all the conventions from one end of the earth to the other.

<gagging sounds here> I remember those things too well... *shudder*

J

• pennycandy
    pennycandy

I can remember times while I was clapping in agreement or raising my hand thinking, "...now what did he ask?"

• Honesty
    Honesty

*** w04 1/15 p. 25 Give God Glory Not Man ***

The public discourse was followed by a summary of the Watchtower magazine’s lesson for that week. Then came the final talk, "‘Keep Bearing Much Fruit’ to Jehovah’s Glory." The speaker presented a ten-point resolution for all in attendance to adopt. It centered on various ways that glory can be given to Jehovah, the Creator. A unanimous "Aye" traveled through all the conventions from one end of the earth to the other. (2003 District convention)

Vomit Alert.

• Ozner
    Ozner

There was a resolution 2 years ago on the convention.

Just like in the old days.

It was not funny! I hate it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit