Reverence?

by under74 5 Replies latest jw friends

• under74
    under74

rev·er·ence
    noun
    Definitions:
    1. respect felt: feelings of deep respect or devotion
    2. respect gained: the respect or devotion that others show somebody or something

3. christianity used to address Christian clergy: used as a form of address for some members of the Christian clergy

---------------

It's always been my take on the word that it was the thing that keeps people in line even in the face of their worst enemy. It keeps soldiers from mutilating the bodies of their foes. It keeps prison officials from finding executions fun. It makes people feel repulsion when injustices or crimes are commited against even the worst of humanity. I dislike many people...but I believe even the worst don't deserve to die horrible deaths or even be treated as sub-human.

My question's are-- do you think most of us have lost the sense of reverence? Did anyone really have it? This isn't really a JW question... but it could come into play. I'm thinking as an American but this doesn't mean the questions only apply to Americans.

Your thoughts?
  • daystar
    daystar
    do you think most of us have lost the sense of reverence? Did anyone really have it?

I don't see that to be the case at all. I always held all of existence in reverence. The JW paradigm did not add or subtract from this. The sense of reverence has only increased as I've aged.

However, I don't think my concept of reverence is exactly the same as yours either.

• under74
    under74

daystar- What is your concept of it? Not debating here just want to know a little more on your take.

• under74
    under74

Synonym (for reverence) - to venerate.

Venerate- To regard with respect, reverence, or heartfelt deference.

• daystar
    daystar
    It keeps soldiers from mutilating the bodies of their foes. It keeps prison officials from finding executions fun. It makes people feel repulsion when injustices or crimes are commited against even the worst of humanity. I dislike many people...but I believe even the worst don't deserve to die horrible deaths or even be treated as sub-human.

Hmm... well, I'm a bit of a social darwinist in some ways. At the same time, I retain some of my Cherokee ancestry's outlook on reverence for life.

I believe that sometimes one must sacrifice the one for the sake of the many. I would hope that I would not hesitate to do so, without an undue amount of sentimentality, should I one day be posed with such a decision. At the same time, holding in high reverence the single sacrifice that is necessary.

• under74
    under74

Thanks for the input. I guess I'm not really a social darwinist. I can see where you are coming from with your second point but I don't see that kind of nobilty taking place these days. The civil rights era showed what you describe, but today I just don't see it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit