CREATING A BIBLE OR COMPILATION!

by Utopian Reformist 6 Replies latest jw friends

• Utopian Reformist
    Utopian Reformist

While it may seem absurd at first glance, and perhaps offensive, is it not feasible that humans under their own source of inspiration could compile a such a library?

Think of the language used in describing the prophecies and visions in the Bible as we know it, and test whether or not you can apply the symbols and images used to a variety of settings, places in history, and recorded events?

If you think about Nostradamus, Celestine and many other so called "prophecies" that considered some, all or none of the Bible, didn't those writings somehow satisfy the curiosities and spiritual needs of certain people?

If those types of writings and the many others located on bookshelves in the "spiritual sections" in bookstores and libraries are appealing and satisfying the inquiring minds of people everywhere, then I believe that honest and genuine individuals can undertake such a task.

Unless you are imprisoned, what prevents a studious, inquiring and ambitious person from researching and investigating the mysteries of our time and somehow make a reasonable and logical attempt at beneficial application?

Since that is a very vague question about a very vague topic, it stands to reason that the Holy Bible in all of its "literary variety" and "accepted canon" can be examined in the same light, at times.

Any thoughts from the MAGNA FORUM?

• Julie
    Julie

oops

• Julie
    Julie

:Any thoughts from the MAGNA FORUM?

Hmmm, the Magna Forum I don't know but that reminds me of the Magna Carta. An 800 year old document that shows more enlightenment and foresight than any book of prophesy I know of. Unlike books of prophesy it provides solutions to Foreseeable difficulties and, in comparison to certain inspired books of instruction (i.e. the bible), it is far more reasonable and just (not to mention sane).

There are countless documents and other writings from throughout history that demonstrate reason, intelligence, civility and insight. It is ironic that they are never attributed to God as many ridiculous rantings are. I think this reflects the fact that it is all done by "man" and, unfortunately, it was hardly the Best and Brightest who put pen to paper and gave us the "holy writings" we have today. If only some of them had been a little more enlightened....less superstitious......more civilized.......*sigh*

Just my 2 cents--
    Julie

• bboyneko
    bboyneko

The Bible makes a great paperweight.

-Dan

• Utopian Reformist
    Utopian Reformist

By Magna Forum, I meant the "great forum" in which we all participate. The term "Magna" means great or large. That was the context I intended.

However, I do agree with your review of human efforts at writing and the influence of fear and superstition. You mentioned the Magna Carta signed by King John in 1215. While that document provided the divine right to rule as kings, it also contained other elements that were more political than the type of writing which I was alluding to in my previous posting.

• dubla
    dubla

[email protected] all the history books in the schools today make great paperweights as well?

• Julie
    Julie

Hi U.R.,

Sorry I missed your meaning of Magna on referring to this forum, while I know the meaning of the word I guess it never occured to me to apply it here, to this forum.

As to the rest of the document, Magna Carta, isn't it interesting that, for all it's political impact at the time (and for time to come considering the re-issues etc.), it was likely written by a churchman (a most enlightened one at that)? I love the irony there.

Anyway, good point in your original post.

Julie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit