lions and lambs, is it just me or is it hard to imagine them being buddies.

by PoppyR 7 Replies latest jw friends

• PoppyR
    PoppyR

You know something I could never get my head around.. well another thing! I have a dog, and yes I know dogs can SURVIVE on a vegetarian diet, but the smells are not great However I have always been under the impression that cats cannot.. and also they have this inbuilt fabulous ability to hunt and kill. Nobody teaches them how to do it, it surely could not have evolved.. so explanations anyone? Is it truly believable that the lion will lay down with the lamb?

Poppy x

• daystar
    daystar

Nope. It was a total fabrication.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

cats and dogs did evolve their instincts. there are mountains of evidence to support evolution. canis lupus familiaris (dogs), are basically wolves (canis lupus) with some altered psychology and physiology. similar to us sharing 97% of our genomes with chimps, pan troglodytes.

cats are amazing.

my dog loves me more than anyone. why? it's not because he thinks i'm a smart guy. it's because i feed him raw meat all the time, and i let him chase rabbits and squirels and cats, and i did not chop his nut-sack off.

lions and lambs? only a neolithic mind could come up with the concept of the two of them living in harmony together.

cheers poppy, and welcome o the board!

TS

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan
    However I have always been under the impression that cats cannot

It's true. Cats can't survive without meat protein. It's likely due to a genetic abnormality that prevents them from being able to taste sweetness, and thus having almost no desire to eat anything besides meat, which pushed their evolution in the direction resulting in what we see now, a finely-tuned, superb hunting machine.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Yes it's totally truly believable that the lion will lay down with the lamb...after the lion catches it and makes a kill....yeppers

• TD
    TD
    Cats can't survive without meat protein.

The reason for this is that unlike other members of order Carnivora, which can subsist on a vegetarian diet if they have to (e.g. Dogs and Bears) no member of family Felidae is capable of synthesizing the essential amino acid, taurine internally. Consequently they must obtain it externally (i.e. It must be in their diet)

Since taurine is not found in plant tissue, cats cannot subsist on a vegetarian diet. They must eat meat.

It's sad, but well-meaning human vegetarians have actually killed their family pets because they weren't aware of this basic fact.

• Carmel
    Carmel

Praise be to God! the mediaeval ages of darkness have passed away and this century of radiance has dawned, -- this century wherein the reality of things is becoming evident, -- wherein science is penetrating the mysteries of the universe, the oneness of the world of humanity is being established and service to mankind is the paramount motive of all existence. Shall we remain steeped in our fanaticisms and cling to our prejudices? Is it fitting that we should still be bound and restricted by ancient fables and superstitions of the past; be handicapped by superannuated beliefs and the ignorances of dark ages, waging religious wars, fighting and shedding blood, shunning and anathematizing each other? Is this becoming? Is it not better for us to be loving and considerate toward each other? Is it not preferable to enjoy fellowship and unity; join in anthems of praise to the most high God and extol all His prophets in the spirit of acceptance and true vision? Then indeed this world will become a paradise and the promised Day of God will dawn. Then according to the prophecy of Isaiah the wolf and the lamb will drink from the same stream, the owl and the vulture will nest together in the same branches and the lion and the calf pasture in the same meadow. What does this mean? It means that fierce and contending religions, hostile creeds and divergent beliefs will reconcile and associate, notwithstanding their former hatreds and antagonism. Through the liberalism of human attitude demanded in this radiant century they will blend together in perfect fellowship and love. This is the spirit and meaning of Isaiah's words. There will never be a day when this prophecy will come to pass literally, for these animals by their natures cannot mingle and associate in kindness and love. Therefore this prophecy symbolizes the unity and agreement of races, nations and peoples who will come together in attitudes of intelligence, illumination and spirituality.

The age has dawned when human fellowship will become a reality.

(Abdu'l-Baha, Baha'i World Faith - Abdu'l-Baha Section, p. 279)

carmel

• rebel8
    rebel8
    i let him chase rabbits and squirels and cats

I'll go along with the rabbits and squirrels, but cats??!! Maybe that's ok in Lichenstein mister but that is not ok with me. Cats are a higher life form that humans. I have a purring kitten on my lap right now who says so.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit