David and Solomon...little more than tribal chieftans?

by Rubyvixen 6 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Rubyvixen
    Rubyvixen

There was an interesting article in the NY Times recently regarding an ancient alphabet discovery.

I found one paragraph in the article of particular interest though :

"A vocal minority of scholars contend that the Bible's picture of the 10th century B.C. as a golden age in Israelite history is insupportable. Some archaeological evidence, they say, suggests that David and Solomon were little more than tribal chieftains and that it was another century before a true political state emerged."

I find it interesting because I really view the Bible as nothing more than a collection of myths reflective of the times of writing. Most myths are based loosely around the world political and social climate of the time and I have often tossed the idea about in my head that many of the referenced names in the Bible were put there to lend validity to the myths and many of the figures were exaggerated in position to create more color to the stories.

This is the first time I have ever read something along those lines in a secular source though. I wish I could find more on this.

Here is the full article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/09/international/middleeast/09alphabet.html?incamp=article_popular

• VM44
    VM44

Thank you for posting the link for that article.

Looks important.

Something to think about and also research further

--VM44

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

There seems to be much more historical material in the David stories (at a tribal level indeed, and surrounded by much legend) than in the "ideal" reign of Solomon over an equally "ideal" Israel extended to the border of Egypt and to the Euphrates. The latter certainly doesn't sound like a tribal cheftain -- rather a complete fabrication.

• Gollum
    Gollum

There was an interesting book published in 2001 (I believe) that basically said there was no archological evidence for the kingdom of David and Soloman, and that Moses and the Exodus were complete myths. Below is a short article by the authors of that book.

• Rubyvixen
    Rubyvixen

Gollum, thanks so much for that link.

Great reading! This is making me want to dig up more on the topic.

• Shining One
    Shining One

>There was an interesting article in the NY Times recently regarding an ancient alphabet discovery.

Reading this much proclaimed leftist rag says much about the (lack of) veracity of the article, LOL.
    Rex

• ICBehindtheCurtain
    ICBehindtheCurtain

RubyV thanks for starting this topic, I have researched this and there is not proof that these people were what the bible claims, Gollum that is an interesting site, is it not? I have it saved in my favorites also.

IC

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit