Taliking about being paranoid.

by corproal 6 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• corproal
    corproal

I was doing a search on the UN-NGO affiliation and this is one of the listings found concerning the internet.

Generally, the more powerful a tool is, the more dangerous it can be. A gas-powered chain saw can accomplish far more than a handsaw; yet, it must be used carefully. The Internet is likewise extremely powerful and useful, but we must exercise caution when using it, as it also poses serious dangers. Concern about these dangers has caused more than 40 member nations of the Council of Europe to draft an international treaty aimed at the protection of society against cybercrime.

Why all the concern? What are some of the dangers that are of particular concern to Christians? Should they cause you to avoid using the Internet? What guidance does the Bible provide?

Need for Caution

Centuries ago, the Bible warned of dangers posed by evil men described as “master[s] at evil ideas” and “scheming to do bad.” ( Proverbs 24:8 ) The prophet Jeremiah described them as “wicked men” whose “houses are full of deception.” Like birdcatchers, they “set a ruinous trap” to catch men and “gain riches.” ( Jeremiah 5:26, 27 ) Technology has provided modern-day “wicked men” with deceptive traps of new dimensions. Let us consider some schemes that can present grave dangers for Christians.

Internet chat rooms can be time wasters and are increasingly associated with relationship breakdowns. Expressing frustration over the amount of time his wife spends on-line, one man wrote: “When she gets in from work, the PC goes on and it can be five or more hours before she logs off. Our marriage is suffering as a result.” Yes, time spent on the Internet is time spent away from your mate and family.

Angela Sibson, chief executive of the marriage guidance service Relate, says that the Internet “is a gateway to other relationships. They can be very potent and break up existing relationships.” What starts as a friendly on-line conversation in a chat room can quickly become something more serious. Intent on engaging in immoral relations, those “cunning of heart” use “smoothness of the tongue” to tell potential victims what they want to hear. ( Proverbs 6:24 ; 7:10 ) Nicola, a 26-year-old victim from the United Kingdom, explains: “It was like a love bombardment. He kept saying how wonderful I was and I fell for it.” Dr. Al Cooper, editor of Sex and the Internet: A Guidebook for Clinicians, says that we need to “warn people about the slippery slope that starts with online flirting and too often ends in divorce.”

Children are even more vulnerable to exploitation and harm by “computer-sex offenders.” Using “crookedness of speech” and “deviousness of lips,” pedophiles target inexperienced children. ( Proverbs 4:24 ; 7:7 ) Engaging in a practice known as grooming, they shower the child with attention, affection, and kindness to make the youngster feel special. They seem to know everything a child is interested in, including that one’s favorite music and hobbies. Minor problems at home are accentuated in order to drive a wedge between the child and his or her family. To fulfill their evil desires, predators may even send their target victim a ticket to travel cross-country. The results are frightening.

• corproal
    corproal

Some more

Bible Principles Can Safeguard You

After assessing the dangers, some people have concluded that it is better for them to avoid using the Internet altogether. However, it must be acknowledged that only a small percentage of sites on the Internet pose a danger and that most users have not experienced serious problems.

Thankfully, the Scriptures provide guidance to “safeguard” us from danger. We are encouraged to acquire knowledge, wisdom, and thinking ability. Such qualities will ‘keep guard over us’ to ‘deliver us from the bad way.’ ( Proverbs 2:10-12 ) “But wisdom itself—from where does it come?” asked God’s ancient servant Job. The answer? “The fear of Jehovah—that is wisdom.”— Job 28:20 , 28 .

“The fear of Jehovah,” which “means the hating of bad,” is the basis for developing godly attributes. ( Proverbs 1:7 ; 8:13 ; 9:10 ) Love and reverence for God, along with a healthy respect for his power and authority, result in our hating and avoiding the bad things he hates. Clear thinking ability, coupled with godly knowledge, helps us recognize dangers that can poison our mind, heart, and spirituality. We come to abhor selfish and greedy attitudes that can wreck our family and destroy our relationship with Jehovah.

So if you use the Internet, be aware of the dangers. Be resolved to keep God’s commandments, and avoid flirting with trouble. ( 1 Chronicles 28:7 ) Then, if Internet dangers confront you, you will wisely flee from them.— 1 Corinthians 6:18 .

• corproal
    corproal

1 Chronicles 28:7 I see the witness like to quote scripture so I did as any person may do and checked to see what the scipture says and here what its says. Moreover I will establish his kingdom for ever, if he be constant to do my commandments and my judgments, as at this day. (KJV)

So what does this have to do with what they are talking about?

• corproal
    corproal

OOOOOOOOPss

forgot to put the quote i was referring to.

So if you use the Internet, be aware of the dangers. Be resolved to keep God’s commandments, and avoid flirting with trouble. ( 1 Chronicles 28:7 ) Then, if Internet dangers confront you, you will wisely flee from them.— 1 Corinthians 6:18 .

• corproal
    corproal

I find it quite amusing when they use these types of examples.

"

"A female police detective specializing in Internet crime invited Awake! to see the dangers of Internet chat rooms. She entered a chat room, posing as a 14-year-old girl. After just a few seconds, a number of individuals made contact. The strangers asked such questions as: “Where are you from?” “Are you a girl or a boy?” “Can we talk?” Several responses were from suspected sexual predators whom the police were tracking. That shows how easily a pedophile can get into a chat room with your child!"

No mention of who this detective is or in what city or even how long this person has been an officer.

By the way for people who seem to not want the rank and file to join worldly organizations they sure seem to quote from them quite often when trying to prove a point.

craig

• corproal
    corproal

"In view of these sobering facts, it is wise to take sensible precautions when using the Internet. Talk to your children, and teach them how to protect themselves from danger. Equipped with proper knowledge, you can avoid the dangers of the Internet.— Ecclesiastes 7:12 ."

Note they use Ecclesiastes 7:12 . as a reference to wise counsel when on the internet.

Lets see what Ecclesiastes 7:12 . actually says. Ecclesiastes 7:12 For wisdom is a defence, and money is a defence: but the excellency of knowledge is, that wisdom giveth life to them that have it. (KJV) So what does this verse have to do with being equipped with proper knowledge of the internet? Do these people actually check their references before writing ,or do they just hope that the average JW is to busy to look up the references. Craig

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

Why the "good & bad" allocations that require applying one's view of "bible principles" ?

What happened to common sense ?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit