United in worship of the Only True God... my mom says don't read it!

by in a new york bethel minute 7 Replies latest watchtower bible

• in a new york bethel minute
    in a new york bethel minute

she found the united book, open as if i was saving a spot from where i had last finished reading. she found it and said, "bethel, don't read this we have an updated version!" i said, "why do they need to update it?", to which i received no answer.

my mother and i had already had this discussion. last year, when they were studying the "worship the only true God book" at the bookstudy, i realised it was just a "newer light" version of the United book. the only real difference is that the new book takes out two chapters... One on the covenant Jesus made with the "anointed" (wherein the watchtower makes some rather impossible mathematical statements like, "from 33 c.e. to about 1935, the only hope was a heavenly one." which means, of the millions of christians, only about 80,000 received any reward).

the other chapter taken out was the one on blood. that's interesting... the blood doctrine chapter was completely removed... my mom could not think of why... but im sure it was just "simplifying."

bethel

• kid-A
    kid-A

Those who control the past....control the future....

• bennyk
    bennyk

They also removed the chapter on the Mosaic Law. Perhaps they came to realize that JW's just might begin to notice that "Watchtower-Worship" is the "fourth branch of Judaism"(?).

• Honesty
    Honesty

Do you realise that reading 'Old Light' can cause you to lose faith in Joe Hoba's organisation?

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    she found it and said, "bethel, don't read this we have an updated version!"

I would take her suggestion a step further and not read the updated one either. It'll be obsolete in a year anyway.

The Watchtower is a bit like Microsoft in this respect. You're always having to upgrade, but very little new useful functionality is included in upgrades. It's mostly patches to cover up vunerabilities.

W

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Bethel,

I have the same issue with the 144,000 - mathematically and reasonably impossible.

As far as the changes in JW teaching - I remember being told 40 years ago not to read any JW literature over 10 years old. And that by a still active JW!

S4

• yaddayadda
    yaddayadda
    The Watchtower is a bit like Microsoft in this respect. You're always having to upgrade, but very little new useful functionality is included in upgrades. It's mostly patches to cover up vunerabilities.

That's a classic!

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

Ask her if it's OK to read it but to leave out the two chapters that are missing from the updated version.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit