Advice Appreciated

by Curious Christian 8 Replies latest jw friends

• Curious Christian
    Curious Christian

I would like to start a small group that would mimic the JW approach, only specifically target those involved in JWs. I would like to hear from former JWs who could advise me about what they wish someone had said to them when they were in the JWs. Words to use, not use. Subjects to approach. Arguments we may have to counter. Our ultimate goal would be to make the JWs think and EFFECTVELY share the gospel with them. Since not many Christians are doing the job on their own door-step, I figure that those of us who would like to see our friends and family free, should take up the cross and do it ourselves. A JW friend told me that in 40yrs., my husband and I are the ONLY ones who have ever asked questions they cannot answer! Maybe those of us who care for JWs should be knocking on THEIR doors with the truth. Otherwise, they may never hear it.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

Finding a JW door at random to knock on would be a challenge. And knocking on all doors telling the householder not to be a JW would be akin to reminding everyone not to smack themselves with nail-studded boards.

You could visit local kingdom halls. Express that you're a Christian and would like to study the bible with someone. They will probably set you up with a study, then you can try to lead your conductor out of the org. If you were willing to put in the time, this might be effective. But of course, as soon as the JW sees what you're up to, they'll not only cut off the study, but they'll warn everyone else not to study with you.

So you can only pull the trick on a particular congregation once or twice. Then you'll need to try a different congregation.

What could someone have said to wake me up? Probably nothing, since the Watchtower teaches JW's that they have the truth, everything else is a lie and is from the devil, and anyone trying to teach you something else is trying to kill you. It's very hard to pierce all that and get to the human brain hiding under it.

Good luck!

Dave

• Curious Christian
    Curious Christian

I think you misunderstood. My thought is to organize a group of others who know people that are in the JWs. Obviously, we will then have access to who they are, where they live, etc...

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

CC-

Good idea. Very tough nut to crack. When I was a witness I would not have listened to anything against the faith. Most likely knocking on the first witnesses door will generate a warning to the congregation to be on the alert for 'active apostates' in the area targeting our homes.

But if u find an effective way to do that I have a suggested appoach.

Using the Bible, point out scriptures that support a relationship with Christ - like John 14:6. Suggest, without attacking the organization that the Bible does not point to any specific denomination for salvation, but to Christ as the 'truth'. Give the impression that you are not 'targetting' them specifically, but trying to lead others to Christ in the community. Engage them, but disallow any other literature to be used but the Bible. Make the calls short and come back to discuss it later. In short, use the same techniques that witnesses sometimes use. I see it as a difficult assignment.

I do see a very significant effect in doing what you intend: The witnesses will be all in a flutter that anyone else is doing this 'house to house' work that they see themselves as exclusively engaged in. This in itself would have had a powerful effect on me, since one of the stalwart arguments proposed to the witnesses is that they are basically the only ones doing this work. It might make them doubt that is true, and if that is not true, them maybe some other things they are being taught are not truth either.

If you want to do it here in my area, come on over. Indiana.

Good Success to you -

Jeff

• Legolas
    Legolas

Welcome to the board!

• TheListener
    TheListener

Welcome to the board curious. I hope your idea works. Difficult to ask questions of close loved ones without being labeled apostate.

• Curious Christian
    Curious Christian

Thanks! We do not want to confront, but to approach and try to share the gospel in a way they may be more open to. After spending time with a JW couple, I realize that there are certain things they do that cause prideful attitude. Things "no one else" is doing. Going door-to-door and not plugging for money seem to be big. (We would not accept money, even if it is offered.) I would like to find points we can agree on and work from there. Maybe offer a Bible study using the Bible ONLY. That may open the door to a discussion in the future. Give them a friend outside of the WT. Peace and kindness are top priorities. The object is to get them to rethink a few things and to consider that perhaps all Christians are not evil, as they have been taught. And knowing about their doctrines, we could have a few good questions, should they bring them up. Things the Reasoning book just doesn't have answers for. :0)

• bebu
    bebu

I think that you might want to not come across as totally naive about the JWs and their flaws (doctrines and scandals), but let them know that you have found questions you hope THEY could answer, since you began to look into their church.

I would avoid using JW-terms that might mark you as being too-savvy, and potentially dangerous (a possible apostate or opposer).

There are 2 things I try to point out to my JW (or Mormon) visitors. One is that I have found "red flags" which are not being answered to my satisfaction. There are simply tons of these things about, from secret scandals that are documented online (UN scandal, for one), or sheer rejection of the Bible (start reading around here and at other sites, take your pick). Anyway, framing the problem as a "red flag" helps them understand that you have an obstacle toward faith, and that it must be removed for you to move forward. They will be motivated to help you toward faith, and on these terms (sometimes, ONLY on these terms!) will they begin to look at the material they would never look at otherwise.

The second thing is this: Should they hesitate in looking into resolving your red flags, point out to them that it should be their duty to help you resolve the issue in order to come to faith, if this faith is indeed true. Would they not be guilty if they neglected to help you? Does not the Bible say to test all things--and that is what you wish to do?

I would not do a Bible study per se. I would play the part of the student with a ton of honest questions, and make the teacher work to find out that the answers he finds cannot satisfy an HONEST person!! (Yes, play this card too. When the waffling and lame excuses come, tell the JW that you will not compromise your integrity, even if s/he thinks it's okay. Say it politely, but firmly!)

You will get a lot more cooperation and interaction, less defensiveness and more openness, if you take the part of a student, instead of the teacher.

bebu

Non-JW co-conspirator

• Curious Christian
    Curious Christian

Already I have recieved some excellent advice! Thank you so much! I knew that if I could just have some contact with people who have been there, that it would make a huge difference. Keep the advice coming. There aren't any avenues to ex-JWs in my immediate area, so I am relying on you! Thanks for blessing me with your experience and knowledge of this subject!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit