Would like opinions, additions and subtractions -- help needed

by robhic 2 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• robhic
    robhic

I had seen and saved a little "test" to ask JWs about beliefs and their actually being bible-based. Just for an exercise, I took the "Eight Questions" list and added (where I could find them at "Quotes" site) the quotes and cites from the WT publications that seem to say these things. Please look this over and give me a critique of the WT quotes I matched up, feel free to add some that might be better and please supply ones where I couldn't find appropriate quotes.

1. That God has an "organization" on earth—one of the kind here at issue— and uses a Governing Body to direct it? Where does the Bible make such statements?

*** Watchtower 1955 June 1 p.333 Part 11: Restoration of Theocratic Organization ***

Similarly today the power of appointment of all servants in congregations rightfully rests with the governing body of the "faithful and discreet slave" class, which is under the direct supervision of Christ Jesus at the temple.

2. That the heavenly hope is not open to anyone and everyone who will embrace it, that it has been replaced by an earthly hope (since 1935) and that Christ's words in connection with the emblematic bread and wine, "Do this in remembrance of me," do not apply to all persons putting faith in his ransom sacrifice? What scriptures make such statements?

*** Watchtower 1997 October 1 p.23 Grateful for a Long Life in Jehovah's Service ***

Confident in Kingdom Hope

In 1935 we came to understand that the "great crowd" was not a secondary heavenly class. We learned that it instead represents a class that survives the great tribulation and has the opportunity of living forever in Paradise on earth. (Revelation 7:9-14) With this new understanding, some who had partaken of the Memorial emblems realized that theirs was an earthly hope, and they discontinued partaking.

3. That the "faithful and discreet slave" is a "class" composed of only certain Christians, that it cannot apply to individuals, and that it operates through a Governing Body? Again, where does the Bible make such statements?

*** Watchtower 1967 October 1 p.590 Finding Freedom with Jehovah's Visible Organization ***

Jehovah poured out his spirit upon them and assigned them the responsibility of serving as his sole visible channel, through whom alone spiritual instruction was to come. Those who recognize Jehovah's visible theocratic organization, therefore, must recognize and accept this appointment of the "faithful and discreet slave" and be submissive to it.(Also see #1 above)

4. That Christians are separated into two classes, with a different relationship to God and Christ, on the basis of an earthly or a heavenly destiny? Where is this said?

*** Watchtower November 15, 2001 p.19 ***

'No Calamity Will Befall Us'

[…]

14 Anointed Christians are like alien residents living in tents apart from this system of things. Not even a plague draws near their tent. Whether our hope is heavenly or earthly, we are no part of the world, and we are not infected by such spiritually deadly plagues as its immorality, materialism, false religion and worship of the 'wild beast' and it's 'image', the United Nations.

5. That the 144,000 in Revelation must be taken as a literal number and that the "great crowd" does not and cannot refer to persons serving in God's heavenly courts? Where do we find those statements in the Bible?

6. That blood transfusions are not acceptable but different blood fractions are? Where is this written? Who makes these decisions?

*** Watchtower 2000 June 15 p.31 Questions from Readers ***

Questions from Readers

• Do Jehovah's Witnesses accept any medical products derived from blood?

[...]

Such therapies are not transfusions of those primary components; they usually involve parts or fractions thereof. Should Christians accept these fractions in medical treatment? We cannot say. The Bible does not give details, so a Christian must make his own conscientious decision before God.

7. That the calendar year of 1914 was the time when Christ was first officially enthroned as King toward all the earth and that that calendar date marks the start of his parousia? Where?

*** The Watchtower, September 15, 1901, p. 2876 ***

The culmination of the trouble in October, 1914, is clearly marked in the Scriptures; and we are bound therefore to expect a beginning of that severe trouble not later than 1910; — with severe spasms between now and then.

8. That when the Bible at Hebrews 11:16 says that men such as Abraham, Isaac and Jacob were "reaching out for a better place, that is, one belonging to heaven," this could not possibly mean that they would have heavenly life? Where?

____________________________________________________________________________

• FairMind
    FairMind

Obviously many JW beliefs are speculations that are stated as if they are proven fact. Quite often a teaching is based on the acceptance of another un-provable teaching. Your questions are very good but the JW who would take time to seriously consider them is a rarity.

• Frogleg
    Frogleg

I agree with FairMind. The use of the Bible to prove or disprove anything to JW is a hopeless task. Instead of attempting to grab their minds with intellectual aggression, you might try something a bit more earthy. My personal favorite is: why do I have to dress up to go to a KH meeting?

I have tried to find hard and fast truths from the Bible on many occasion, and the only thing that ever comes close is the quote made by Captain Ron: "We're all gonna f**king die!"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit