Motivation...

by Jordan 8 Replies latest jw friends

• Jordan
    Jordan

I need motivation to get this work done. I don't need to do alot, just write a short proposal for a system, it's just so mind numbingly boring, I can't seem to get started. It's due in for friday, I know I've left it late, and me going out in a little while isn't going to help matters, but I was just wondering what you guys do when you can't seem to motivate yourself into getting something done...

• forsharry
    forsharry

Oh man...talk about a hard question...

I feel your pain. I deal with trying to get my fingers to click on my mouse and do my job every single day. Hmm...well I'm allow to play cds on my computer so I try to put on something with a lively beat and get myself going...I get a nice cup of hot, caffienated tea and just put the pedal to the metal. Also...I try to break it up a little bit...write a quick post, do an ad. Check email, do some more work. etc. etc.

Not sure if that helps.

• Jordan
    Jordan

Usually I do exactly that, I stick some music on and I flick between work and checking out my favourite websites, but for some reason with this piece of work I can't... I guess I might have to actually unplug from the net and concentrate fully on trying to get this done.

• Legolas
    Legolas

What is it...maybe we can help!

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

I go throught this, weeks of productivity, then days of doldrums. When I'm in a lazy mood and can't seem to do anything, I set a timer for myself and agree to work for that long, then get a reward, like some M&M's or something. Start small, like 5 minutes. Then get some candy, take a smoke, whatever. Then work for 5 more minutes. If you can swing 10 minutes, bump it up.

When I'm like that, even a tiny goal starts to look impossibly huge. So don't "challenge" yourself with it. If 10 minutes looks like a crazy amount of time, go with 5. Or 2. The point is to have some dedicated time to work. Once the ball is rolling, it's easier to keep going. You may even skip the break and keep working.

Good luck!

Dave

• lola28
    lola28

Jordan I work in terms of two things, time and money. For example today I will work really fast and get everything done so I can go home early and watch a basketball game (time), or when I have to do binders (which I hate to do) at work I get myself to do them by thinking this way ____Client needs binder____finance company wants binder____I do binder and everyone is happy. A happy client means that I get paid b/c we get commision each month for each client, money is good because I get to do the things I want with it, if I don't moivate myself to do the binder the client is mad, and I could loose him or her at renwal which hurts my wallet. Think about it in those terams and it may get easier.

• twinflame
    twinflame

I'm struggling with the same issue. Projects to get done and I click on the posts here every 10 minutes and get distracted. I am a huge procrastinator though and have found that when I get close to a deadline, I have no choice but to kick it in gear and get it done. Seems like the more time I have for a project, the more I drag my feet even though I tell myself each time that I just need to get it done and then mess around but I don't ever seem to listen.

• Jordan
    Jordan

It's such a basic write up it's laughable, it's just getting myself in the mood to think about writing coherently. I'm probably going to start, and finish it tomorrow... It's due for friday, but I'm not losing my day off just to go in and hand a few pages in. I nearly made a start just now, but then I got sidetracked and started trying to download applications for my phone... I'm a bad student.

• clear2c
    clear2c

Coffee!!!!! that should do it :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit