In depth...

by Cori 6 Replies latest jw friends

• Cori
    Cori

Hello all,

Just another note to discuss another conversation I had with my spouse in my attempts to break her free from JW thinking. I as I have mentioned, she has been coming along with certain things (discussing birthdays, watching rated R movies and movies with magic, not attending meetings and service etc...). We have both been recently becomed totally hooked on the Showtime show "The L Word". This may sound cheesy, but it really is a good show. (The show is about lesbians and their lives and relationships) Last night we were discussing an episode where one of the characters gives birth and we were talking about how the show is not even about lesbians, but about human relationships. I noticed by her comments that she is starting to see their relationships objectively. But of course the JW comment came out. She mentioned that the child growing up with two moms would be confused, and would learn to think that it was normal to have two parents of the same sex. I felt the debate in the back of my throat, but instead just had a friendly chat, and let her know that I thought differently. I felt that as long as two parents (regardless of their sex) show love and support, that is all the child needs. No confusion for the child is forseeable, as long as both parents are involved in the education and upbringing. She didnt argue with me (which is unusual) but listened and it seemed like she agreed at the end. I know its not a religious topic, but you can definitely see the JW thinking in the comments she had made earlier. It may be that she is coming through. We enjoyed the rest of the episode. Hopefully this will lead to other discussions more openly. What does everyone think? Was I right? Should I have mentioned something more??

Cori

• tall penguin
    tall penguin

I think you handled this beautifully Cori. I think what is helping her to see things differently is the safe space you provide for her to question things and entertain another point of view. There's no need at this point to give her much more than that. As she feels more comfortable, you can expand on things.
    Keep up the great work!
    tall penguin

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Cori - the L Word is on over here at 1.30 in the morning and I've been so addicted that I've gone to bed then snuck downstairs to watch. I'm totally in love with shane! However not too many spoilers about season 2 as we are only on season 1 and it ended last week. Boo hoo!

Interesting fact the really gorgeous brunette who woos Tina whilst she is pregnant is best known over here for Brita water filter adverts!

• Cori
    Cori

Thanks tall penguin...I didnt want to start an arguement, so I decided to give a taste of what I thought, and then leave it at that. It seemed to work, i think.

Crumpet - Yes the show is very good. You will definitely enjoy season 2...

Cori

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Sounds to me like you stopped att he perfect time.

If you push too hard the JW part of her has to defend the WT beliefs. Saying a bit and letting her actually for real do her own thinking is the positive part.

Bravo

• Legolas
    Legolas

Sounds good to me!

Keep doing what you are.

• Cori
    Cori

Sometimes I wonder, was I like that? I must've been. Once you learn to think for yourself, instead of repeating a recorded answer...you realize how dumb you sounded before. Sometimes the comments she makes, makes me want to scream!! But i know, im learning to be cool, and answer effectively...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit