Minimum wage for all JWs

by ocsrf 6 Replies latest jw friends

• ocsrf
    ocsrf

Perhaps ex JWs should bring a case against the organization asking for back wages, if they are a corp. for profit they would be required to pay all US citizens $6.15 per hour even though they are sales people. The Society collects time sheets every week so there is a record of how much each preacher (salesman) (employee) should get paid.

The US government might bring the case for the poor JWs, because they are very much interested in all employees being fairly compensated for work rendered.

I would think at the very least the Society would have to open all their financial records and account for all monies spent to prove they are a non-profit organization.

OC

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

This is just silly.

Bottom line: no agreement to work for pay, no contract, = no right to receive money for work.

JW activity, specifically the ministry that you are referring to, is strictly voluntary. record-keeping doesn't change that.

you are dreaming.

-Eduardo Leaton Jr., Esq.

• jeeprube
    jeeprube

I think your point is valid. The WTS is abusing the generosity of it's members for it's own corporate profit. It's a disgrace and a shame. However, if the people involved willingly submit, as they do, no action is possible.

Oh, and the federal minimum wage in the U.S. is $5.15 and hour. It's been that way since Bill Clinton was in office. It hasn't been raised in eight or nine years. That's what happens when you vote for Republicans.

• ocsrf
    ocsrf

Dear Sir,

Is it trully voluntary?

Is it trully a non-profit organization?

Are not JWs highly trained sales people and are they not taught how to collect money and recruit new members?

Sure it could be a silly suggestion, but I enjoyed making it anyway..

By the way, if someone comes into your law office from the government you better have all the signs about minimum wage posted and you better have records of that young man or woman being paid their minimum wage, even if they are paid sales commissions. Even if they have no contract! The government does not care about your contracts they care about protecting those who are not being paid by unethical employers.

OC

• ocsrf
    ocsrf
    Oh, and the federal minimum wage in the U.S. is $5.15 and hour. It's been that way since Bill Clinton was in office. It hasn't been raised in eight or nine years. That's what happens when you vote for Republicans

Perhaps the number used is for my area.

Thanks for correcting me.

OC
  • Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

Howdy,

California has a higher minimum wage than the Federal minimimum. See this page for info on other states::

http://www.dol.gov/esa/minwage/america.htm

To the Georgia gentleman, glad you agree the suggestion was silly. Even as an attorney I think there are way too many lawsuits in the world and don't want to provide fodder for more unnecessary litigiousness.

To your questions:

1. Yes membership and activity is truly voluntary.

2. Yes the WTS (and all its corps in the U.S.) are a federally recognized 501(3)(c) non-profit religious charity (and hold similar designations worldwide). Non-profit incidently doesn't mean that an organization doesn't actually "make a profit" or have income that exceeds revenues, it is a designation of purpose not of financial worth or ability.

3. The ridiculous amount of labor law requirements is why I don't have any employees in my solo-practice and why I can be kept busy advising other business owners how to stay out of hot-water.

-Eduardo Leaton Jr., Esq.

• ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain

"Oh, and the federal minimum wage in the U.S. is $5.15 and hour."

All fine and well for raising the minumum wage until you own the business that hires minimum wage employees.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit