Seeking Advice

by ameliasmom 9 Replies latest jw friends

• ameliasmom
    ameliasmom

Hi,

I have only posted on here at time or two, but "lurk" several times a day! I love reading everyone's posts, and it is so wonderful to feel that there is a group out there that understands me and my background.

I need advice. I have been out of the JW organization for 18 years, married, with two children. My dad's family were all witnesses, and he has only one brother living, who is an active JW. I was baptized, and pretty much moved to a nearby town and just left the religion. It has not been too big a deal, since my father was never baptized (althought he believed the "truth"), and most of his family, except this one uncle, lived out of state.

It did become a big deal, a huge horrendous deal, when my father died, and my uncle came crashing in with the JWs to do the funeral, etc. Of course, they traipsed through my parents' house, ate our food, and never once looked me in the eye, spoke to me, much less said they were sorry about my dad's death. Then some of the "brothers" tried to talk to my husband and prod him with Watchtowers at the gravesite (as he pretty much told them where they could shove their magazines!) At least my husband got to see the truth about the "truth."

Since then, which was 14 years ago, I have just avoided my uncle, and tried not to think about it. Recently, I felt that my kids should know some of that side of the family, and invited him and my cousins all over for dinner, and my uncle didn't come, told me and his kids that his conscience wouldn't allow it, blah, blah, blah. Anyway, long story short, so as not to bore everyone, the real, real problem is, my father left a piece of property to my brother and I that he owned jointly with my uncle. We have just tried to help my mom keep the taxes paid on it, and let my uncle "try to sell it," thinking that eventually, he would pass on and we would just deal with it at that point, just to avoid conflict. The problem is, the taxes have gotten astronomical. He is out on the property, having workers out there, working on it, doing who knows what, and I have gotten worried about liability, etc. I did get some insurance to protect my brother and I, just in case. I have seen a lawyer, and he is in the process of sending my uncle a letter to force a sale or auction. I didn't know what else to do. My brother lives in another state and really can't deal with the problem. My mom is in no emotional state to deal with it, because the JW stuff has to come up with it, and how she will not get to see my dad in paradise, yada, yada. So I just don't know what else to do. I mean, the man won't even come to my house for dinner. How can I deal with him on something like this, without an intermediary involved?

Sigh. I guess my concern is, what will I do when he gets the letter? I don't want him calling my mom and upsetting her. And my mom thinks that I should be willing to talk to him and work with him. And the last time I had to speak with him, a few weeks ago, I got so upset, just so upset, because he started talking about my dad, how close they were, how much money we were going to owe him because of work he had done on the property (which we have never been consulted about, he just piddles around out there - the man is on oxygen and is 75 years old), told me how his conscience wouldn't allow him to associate with me, etc. It was very, very upsetting to me, because my father and I were very close, and my dad would never have treated or spoke to anyone the way he talked to me. I can't tell my mom all this, because I just don't want to upset her.

Has anyone else had to deal with similar family, legal, financial problems? I am just dreading facing this whole thing. It is hard for other people to understand that haven't been saturated with this crap all their lives. I just can't deal with my uncle. I can't. It is too hurtful for me that my father's only living brother could be like this, just because of some religious rules. He is more concerned about his own "salvation" than his family. And then I feel guilty that I am doing this to my dad's brother, by getting an attorney, etc. Advice or comments would be great - I know I'm a wimp. Am I doing the right thing? Could I do something better? I don't want to hurt anyone. I really don't. I just can't deal with my uncle in this.

Joy

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

Wow, this is a sticky, messy, ugly situation. I'm so sorry you have to face this.

Is there any way to just deed your portion of the property to your uncle? Or is it significant enough that you don't want to give it up?

Technically he should be willing to deal with you on this, the Watchtower would define it as "necessary family business". If you want to get some firepower to back it up, you can call Watchtower directly, outline your problem, and get them to cite the references for you to show your uncle he can shelve his shunning crap long enough to get this out of the way. Their number is 718-560-5000

Again, I'm *SO* sorry you have to face this foolishness.

Dave

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

First I am sorry you are going through this.

But I see one thing you have done. You called a lawyer. If this uncle refuses to deal with you and be civil then let the lawyer deal with it.

Technically he is supposed to deal with regarding "important family business" But you can't force him and there is no reason to put yourself through this nightmare.

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

Since there are back taxes due let the IRS sort it out with your attorney and don't speak to the uncle have him call your attorney that's what they get paid the big bucks for in to speak in your behalf.

Good luck!

Oh and welcome to the forum it's lovely to hear from a long time lurker.

• garybuss
    garybuss

I'd say deal with him only through the attorney. If he contacts you personally, just tell him your conscience won't allow you to talk to him and instruct him to contact your attorney.
    (Shame on you for trying to be nice to a Witness who has been nasty to you in the past.)

• ameliasmom
    ameliasmom

Thanks for your input. I suppose I just feel so guilty, going to an attorney. There are delinquent taxes, and the county will seize the property soon if they are not caught up, and the assessed value is nearly $200,000. I just can't believe that my dad would have wanted me to just let it go. When I talked to my uncle that night on the phone, I was so upset, and decided that the shunning could work both ways. I just hate that it's like that. He is old and sick, and he is my father's brother. He has so many memories of my dad and family that he could share with my kids, who were born after my dad died, (and really, with his own kids and grandkids that he ignores, because they aren't "active," except his daughter) but he is too busy going to the meetings to consider the generations he is leaving that won't have those memories. I just hate that it's like this.

Thanks again. I think I will just watch my caller ID, and if he calls, I will just ignore it, and let the attorney deal with him, or my brother will just have to step up to the plate and deal with him (my brother was never baptized, and thinks they're all wackos.) I have just spent so much time and energy since my dad died trying to shield my mom and brother from this crap - I suppose I just thought if I ignored it, it would go away. I just don't want him calling my mom and upsetting her.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

You could ask the lawyer to have a restrait that he does not contact your mother about this. I don't know if it can be done but it might be worth talking to him about.

Remember you did not create this situation. You have nothing to feel guilty about. And you have every right to protect your rights.

You tried reasonable and it didn't work.

Dealing with JWs isn't easy at the best of times when it comes to money. Add in old, cantankerous and shunning ... well there isn't a lot of hope that he would be reasonable.

• jgnat
    jgnat

First of all, you are grieving the loss of a relationship that never was. Your uncle is too stupid to know what he is missing out on. You can be as nice as pie, but he won't change. Let him go.

Family is family and business is business. My mom babysat my children for a month and then had a breakdown. She decided beyond the regular sitting fees I owed her for food, field trips, and all this extra stuff she did with her grandchildren for that month. It was hurtful, but I figured, if she wants to be business-like, we will do it business-fashion. I refused to pay her anything without receipts. She was insulted, but complied. I sorted out the originals from the copies and put the whole thing in order. I added them all up, and they were less than what I paid her. I told her SHE owed ME money. She didn't talk to me for months for that. Which was kind of a relief. Well, I was right. And she never tried to pull a fast one on me again.

Guess my concern is, what will I do when he gets the letter? I don't want him calling my mom and upsetting her.

You can't keep him from being an idiot. Talk to the lawyer to see if there is anything you can do legally to protect your mom.

And my mom thinks that I should be willing to talk to him and work with him. And the last time I had to speak with him, a few weeks ago, I got so upset, just so upset, because he started talking about my dad, how close they were, how much money we were going to owe him because of work he had done on the property.

Again, business is business and family is family. Tell your uncle he is welcome at your home at any time for dinner and fellowship, but any business matters must be in writing, dated, with receipts.

• garybuss
    garybuss

He is old and sick,
    That doesn't buy him out of bad behavior or pay the taxes. All crooks eventually get old and sick.
    and he is my father's brother. That's a coincidence. You need to separate the issues in your mind.
    He has so many memories of my dad and family that he could share with my kids, who were born after my dad died, That's your dream. It's not real and it's not a good reason to lie down on a bad business deal.
    I just hate that it's like this. That's understandable, but it's something you need to accept. It's an unrelated side issue.
    I just don't want him calling my mom and upsetting her. Talk to the attorney about this. He may suggest a restraining order. You can't protect your mom, but an attorney probably can.
    You have emotions, business problems, resentments, dreams, and fears all mixed up in your mind. If you can't separate it all and get through this little bump on the highway of life, you need to turn it all over to a manager who will take rational action. Application of a dream to a business problem will never work. Wishing it were different won't work either.

• banished1
    banished1

Listen to GaryBuss!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit