Great Quotes from Societies Literature

by Sheepish 7 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Sheepish
    Sheepish

I may be behind the times here with this, cause I'm so new, but I picked up an old copy of "Let God Be True"(1946) at a yard sale, and I've been kinda skimming through it. This statement jumped out at me. I got a good laugh considering how, they won't give let you share the other side of an issue with them, calling it "apostate" and all...( Maybe you have other ones that you've found.)

Let God Be True chapter 17, page 210 (Ironically entitled, "Who are Jehovah's Witnesses?")

"There are two sides to every question. Honest persons who are fair desire to hear the truth."

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

Ow! Ow! My brain is twisting in my skull!

Yes, they are certainly their own worst/best critic. Thanks for sharing that gem!

If you're enjoying your trip through the literature, don't miss visiting the Quotes site: http://quotes.watchtower.ca Tons of beautiful quotes from the literature.

From the site at http://quotes.watchtower.ca/organization.htm

What, can we say, is the basic principle underlying the movement of Jehovah's living organization? It can be expressed in one word: OBEDIENCE.

Enjoy...

Dave

• Frogleg
    Frogleg

Are you looking for quotes? Okay, here's one:

"Patience. A mild form of desperation, often disguised as a virtue."

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

How about this, from the March 15, 1955 Watchtower:

Perhaps one of the outstanding uses of illustrations is to side-step bias or prejudice or partiality. We are usually biased in our own favor. We tend to protect ourselves, our opinions, our actions, our cherished beliefs, and if anyone criticizes them we automatically defend them. Pride makes it hard for us to admit we are wrong. If it was a matter of conduct we make excuses or think of extenuating circumstances. It is not just a matter of logic, of reasoning on the situation. It is a question of emotion also. And emotion is not always reasonable. Oftentimes it wins the tug of war with logic. But if we can reason on the same situation without knowing we are involved, logic and reasoning can do their work unhindered by personal feelings. Here is where the illustration comes into play. It will side-step prejudice, sever the person from the event, put him in the position of an impartial observer with no personal stake involved, and will let him decide purely on the basis of right principles.

I think it sums up the Society pretty well.

• gumby
    gumby
    "There are two sides to every question. Honest persons who are fair desire to hear the truth."

Lordy Jesus! Who was the einstein bastard who phrased this? There are two sides to every question doesn't even make sense. "There are various answers to many questions" would have made more sense.

Honest persons who are fair? If your honest I'd say your being fair was a given. And gee......only honest persons desire to hear the truth. If your not honest and you cheat and lie.....then you don't ever desire to hear the truth....you'd much rather hear a buncha false stuff. God, some of the crap they write is just brilliant, ain't it?

Gumby......who still can't believe he was that dumb that long

• John Doe
    John Doe

I surmise that simply changing "question" to "issue" would probably be closest to their intended meaning, considering how the colloquialism is typically used.

• Sheepish
    Sheepish

Well, yeah, they were setting up the answer to "Who are Jehovah's Witnesses?" but your points are well taken...they should have said "two points of view". It's just a great quote to use when they can't listen to what you have to say...course they won't give you a chance to even share that so, maybe it's just a good chuckle for those of us who know better!

• Sheepish
    Sheepish

Thanks for the connect AlmostAtheist. It's a good one!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit