I have a question.

by corproal 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• corproal
    corproal

My sister in law was just reproved the other day and my question is ,is this just like being disfellowshipped except in this case she isn't baptised into the cult ooops I mean the truth?

The reason given by her is that she went on a date with a witness and the young spiritually strong man asked her to masturbate.She reported it to the elders and was formally reproved at the next meeting.I have to point out that she's had issues in the past with mental illness and fornication .

Craig

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

C-

Unless some things have changes tremendously in the past two years, she could not have been publicly reproved. That is reserved for baptized JW's.

If she was an 'unbaptized publisher' she may have been taken off that list - which in many cases means she will be treated basically as DF'd. At least that is how they treated my unbaptized daughter when she was 'no longer an unbaptized publisher' as the announcement is usually read.

She might be treated a little better than that if some are aware of her past emotional issues.

Jeff

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

According to Watchtower theology, if you commit a sin*, you have to let the elders decide what to do about it, generally with a judicial committee.

If the committee decides that you are repentant for the sin, then you won't be disfellowshipped. If the public at large knows what you did, then you will be "publicly reproved", with an announcement at the Kingdom Hall. The other JW's can still talk to you, party with you, whatever. If nobody knows what you did (smoked a cigarette in your basement, for instance), then you can be privately reproved, no announcement is made.

Reproof will probably [always?] result in the loss of "provileges" like commenting at meetings, being on the theocratic ministry school, and the like.

If she's a strong JW, she's probably feeling VERY guilty about whatever she did. The elders would have laid it on very thick, so any support you can offer along the lines of "you're a good person" would be great.

*"a sin" here refers to "serious sin" like fornication, smoking, apostasy.

Dave

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

Oops, I missed that. Yeah, if she's not baptized then the worst they could do is announce that she isn't a publisher anymore. Is that what they did?

In any event, I'd bet the result will be on the lines of "public reproof".

Dave

• aniron
    aniron
    The reason given by her is that she went on a date with a witness and the young spiritually strong man asked her to masturbate.She reported it to the elders and was formally reproved at the next meeting.I have to point out that she's had issues in the past with mental illness and fornication .

What happen to the "young spiritually strong man" who asked her to masturbate?

• sf
    sf

I'd say it depends on who she was actually masterbating; herself or him.

Yet, still...

sKally

• undercover
    undercover
    My sister in law was just reproved the other day and my question is ,is this just like being disfellowshipped except in this case she isn't baptised into the cult ooops I mean the truth?

If she's not baptized she can neither be reproved or DFd. Like was already said, if she has been considered an "unbaptized publisher" she could be removed from that list. An announcement to the congregation that "sis-in-law is no longer an unbaptized publisher" would be made. Technically, the results of that are not the same as DFing but many self-righteous JWs would take that as an oppurtunity to shun or blacklist her.

If she wasn't even an unbaptized publisher, about all they can do is "counsel" her and try to impress on her the seriousness of her actions as it applies to JWs.

Now, she went on a date and her date asked her to masturbate. Did she comply with his request? If she didn't and was reporting the brother's actions, she shouldn't even be in trouble, except for dating without a chaperone. The "strong" brother should be the one in trouble. If she did comply, then yea, the elders could counsel her for her actions and he should still be in trouble as well. Was there any announcements regarding him?

• Poztate
    Poztate
    Reproof will probably [always?] result in the loss of "provileges" like commenting at meetings, being on the theocratic ministry school, and the like.

Sounds like a reward to me...

Public reproof as far as I know still only applies to those who are baptised.They would like to beat those who haven't joined up yet and they in fact used to.The fear of lawsuits and political correctness stops them from doing it at the moment.Maybe this is "new light"™

• Hellrider
    Hellrider
    The reason given by her is that she went on a date with a witness and the young spiritually strong man asked her to masturbate.She reported it to the elders and was formally reproved at the next meeting

?? So the "young spiritually strong man" asked her to masturbate, and SHE was formally reproved? Wtf is that? Oh what bastards, I bet those horny, old fu##ers dragged every little filthy detail out of her, as they sat there with their legs crossed.

I have to point out that she's had issues in the past with mental illness and fornication .

I know they do their best to screw with your minds, but fornication is not a mental illness.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit