A question about the 44,000?

by caz 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• caz
    caz

I studied with the Jw's on and off for a couple of years and i could never get my head around the belief that 44,000 ( special ones) would be going to heaven and how THEY themselves worked out that they would be one of them?

I remember at Easter one year i was invited to a 'special' meeting, I think they called it "The memorial" or something like that.

Anyway, they passed around a goblet of what looked like wine and a plate of broken crackers and everyone just passed it around the whole room, from one person to the next.

I was told before this meeting that under NO circumstances was i to partake of the wine or the bread as it was only for the "select few" to do so.

My question is: How do they, ( the ones who decide to take a sip or have a nibble) know that they have been chosen, what is the method of Jehovah's communication to them to enlighten them to their future role.

AND

when i was told not to partake, how did the person telling me this not know that I hadn't had a little visit or some form of communication to tell me that I myself may have been a chosen one? ( Not likely though!!!!! Tee hee hee).

By the way, as it turned out, we had no one at our meeting that day who drank from or ate from the things offered so why do they bother with it at all?

Surely if they know that no one has been chosen to do so prior to the meeting then they could have just stayed home eating their Easter eggs!!! ( Joking!).

Or maybe, does the 'revelation of having been made a chosen one just suddently hit that person as he/she takes a hold of the cup/plate?

Could someone please enlighten me on my questions and tell me also, when my mouth went suddenly dry as I held that cup and my tummy started to rumble as I took that plate.......did I miss my opportunity?

Thanx........CaZ

• kls
    kls

Hi Caz, that number is 144,000. If you have voices in your head then you can take part.

• caz
    caz

Nope sorry, I'm sure the latest 'direct message' I recieved was definately 44,000!!!

Ok, so I'm an odd hundred thousand off but my questions remain the same!!!!!!

( thanx too for enlightening me)

CaZ

• Legolas
    Legolas
    My question is: How do they, ( the ones who decide to take a sip or have a nibble) know that they have been chosen, what is the method of Jehovah's communication to them to enlighten them to their future role.

They use this scripture:(The person is supposed to just know that are one of the 144,000 because their spirit tells them!)

Romans 8: 14-17...... For all who are led by God’s spirit, these are God’s sons. 15 For YOU did not receive a spirit of slavery causing fear again, but YOU received a spirit of adoption as sons, by which spirit we cry out: "Abba, Father!" 16 The spirit itself bears witness with our spirit that we are God’s children. 17 If, then, we are children, we are also heirs: heirs indeed of God, but joint heirs with Christ, provided we suffer together that we may also be glorified together.

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

This Watchtower teaching of a limited 'little flock' of 144,000 'anointed JW going to heaven-If you read the entire 10th chapter of the gospel of John, you will see for yourself @ John 10:16: "I have other sheep, which are, "not of this fold," those also I must bring, and they will all become one flock.... "JESUS is OBVIOUSLY REFERRING TO THE CONVERSION of THE GENTILES! Not two 'classes of people'.

Also at Revelation chapter 7:4 ,the ref. to the numerical 144,000, this entire chapter is taken by the Watchtower as highly symbolic

Yet they take out of context the 144,000 sum as literal. The boogie-man of the "evil slave;" the precursor to the "apostate". Look at this parable. The evil slave did something to deem him evil. What did he do? He presumptuously set a date (for him to say, 'my master is delaying'). Hello, it was the Zions Watchtower' who set the date (1914). Every thing about the WT's ivory tower teaching is twisted!

• Hellrider
    Hellrider

The way I understood it, it`s like this: Some JWs basically know/knew if they were a part of the 144000, because they would (unlike the rest) NOT have any desire to live in eternity on earth. Insted, they would have a "calling" to be in heaven, with Christ, serving in his government (I don`t know how they would serve Christ government though, I mean, how many janitors does a government need, ha ha). That`s why it`s called a "heavenly hope". And I don`t know what they`re gonna tell all those people who feel this "heavenly hope" now anymore, now that the annointed-class is pretty much filled up. Well, not my problem. Excellent post btw, DH.

• greendawn
    greendawn

This is based on the faulty understanding that there will be two classes of christians one of which will not receive the Holy Spirit and adaptation as sons. Most of the JWs believe that they belong to this class so they don't partake of the bread and wine.

The rest (they number around 8000) are taking up the last few places of the 144 000 supposedly still left unoccupied after 2000 years of Christian existence.

This dogma is a major distortion of the gospel and was formulated in the 1930's by Rutherford most of whose writings have been rejected by the WTS as an embarrassment.

• Poztate
    Poztate
    They use this scripture:(The person is supposed to just know that are one of the 144,000 because their spirit tells them!)

Romans 8: 14-17...... For all who are led by God’s spirit, these are God’s sons. 15 For YOU did not receive a spirit of slavery causing fear again, but YOU received a spirit of adoption as sons, by which spirit we cry out: "Abba, Father!" 16 The spirit itself bears witness with our spirit that we are God’s children. 17 If, then, we are children, we are also heirs: heirs indeed of God, but joint heirs with Christ, provided we suffer together that we may also be glorified together.

They use this scripture but the reality is that after the token passing of the bread and wine with nobody partaking (except one) the elders will get together to discuss qualifications.Is he(she) one of US...No then they can't be annointed.

Are they "strong" in the truth or just a hanger on...no they can't be annointed. Are they DF'ed or DA'ed.I would hope not.

Apostate..showing up... Take a guess

• enigmatic
    enigmatic

so if only the 144k are sons of christ, than what are the rest? sorry I was raised a dub but only till I was 12 so I have forgot quite a bit. J

• heathen
    heathen
    so if only the 144k are sons of christ, than what are the rest?

The belief is that the rest are the great crowd as mentioned in revelaion 7:14 . I think the WTBTS makes an embarrassment out of the whole thing .Of course if you are not a practicing christian you should not partake but you can only approve of yourself in the end . No other human can pronounce you worthy or unworthy . There is no scripture that says the great crowd can't partake after all their salvation is dependant on the blood of christ like anybody elses as stated in above scripture they wash their robes in the blood of christ .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit