Health care proxy

by dissonance_resolved 2 Replies latest jw friends

• dissonance_resolved
    dissonance_resolved

I wanted to get some input on how to handle the health proxy issue going forward. I'm a fader, inactive now for about two years. My husband and family are all still in. I recently went to the doctor for a physical and they asked for an updated proxy form. I know my husband and family would fight to let me die if I ever needed a blood transfusion, so how do I handle the proxy? I would want my husband to make any other major decisions related to my health care, but if I put a clause in the proxy that I would allow transfusions above my family's objections, then he would see it when signing and that would open up the possibility of DF. I really don't want to make some other non-JW my proxy just because of the blood issue. Has anyone else experienced this or figured out a way to handle?

• Honesty
    Honesty

Follow the rules and have the proxy done just the way THEY want it done.

A day or so later, download a copy of your state's Advance Directive Form or ask your primary care physician for one.

Fill it out and sign and date it in the presence of 2 witnesses and a Notary Public. Have the Notary Public affix his or her seal on the document. Make at least 3 copies (one for each witness and one for yourself) and ask your primary care physician to place the original in your patient file.

In the event that you require a medical procedure not sanctioned by the Jehovah's Witnesses your primary care physician will be able to circumvent any attempt by your husband, the HLC (Hospital Liaison Committee) or anyone else whose wishes conflict with yours.

Make sure that you carry your primary care physician's contact information in your wallet at all times just in case you are involved in an accident which incapacitates your ability to make your wishes known.

http://www.caringinfo.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=3289

• disposable hero of hypocrisy
    disposable hero of hypocrisy
    Honesty, thanks for that info, very interesting. I wonder if it's the same in the UK. I'll have to make an appointment with the doc and see what he says...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit