Stepping off?

by dugout 6 Replies latest jw friends

• dugout
    dugout

An ex-bethelite (now an elder in a jersey congo USA) called me the other day and opened up to me about wanting to step down, mainly because he thought he was being a bit overwhelmed. He mentioned that he spoke to the CO about it and some of the socalled friends in the congo . They put him on this guilt trip. What advice can I give him on this. I myself was a elder for 13yrs before I stepped off. never been happier. About 2yrs ago an elder came to me talking about me reaching out again. I told him straight up I don't need to be an elder to get my D%@K HARD (SO TO SPEAK). HE ACUALLY laughed.  But he never ask that again. What should I tell him? Don't really know if he knows the TATT.

IM dugout  

• Calebs Airplane
    Calebs Airplane
    Tell him to read Ephesians 2:8,9 and Galatians 6:4,5... That should reduce his "guilt" somewhat...
  • Simon
    Simon

I would suggest you want from them legal protection. Say you heard of elders being sued for enforcing the societies rules - tell them you will only be willing to serve if the society accepts full legal responsibility for all decisions and actions made under it's guidance.

They won't give that to you and also won't want to push it as an issue.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

I myself was a elder for 13yrs before I stepped off. never been happier.

Sounds like a good answer to me. I feel the same way.

The fact that he's overwhelmed and is thinking about stepping down is very strong indication that he needs a break. The fact that others start a guilt-trip is totally lame and selfish. If someone is sick or tired, who would start insulting them as "motivation"?

Jehovah supposedly promised that there would be plenty of people and resources to step up as needed. Is Jehovah so resource-poor and unappreciative that he has to continue making big demands from one person?

And Jesus' ministry only lasted 3.5 years. That's all. If he set the perfect example, no elder or pioneer should need to serve for longer than Jesus, right?

• smiddy
    smiddy

Jesus ministry lasted only 3.5 years .That is all ,

,so why are JW`s expected to give all of their life to the ministry ? Years + years +years and then die without receiving the promised blessings of the Watchtower , and wasting their precious years serving a cult.

smiddy

• Perry
    Perry
    What Simon said!
  • Suraj Khan
    Suraj Khan

Really hoping this is my (fleshly) brother.

I'm also hoping that, whoever this is, they're putting two and two together and realizing they have been duped as many others have - that it's not a physical fatigue, but a mental awakening which is leading them to step down. Seems that there's a lot more than attrition thinning the ranks of the elders these days.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit