Civil rights icon Rosa Parks dies

by CountryGuy 6 Replies latest jw friends

• CountryGuy
    CountryGuy

Just saw this on the news:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

DETROIT (Reuters) - Rosa Parks, the black seamstress whose refusal to give her seat on a Montgomery, Alabama, bus to a white man sparked a revolution in American race relations, died on Monday at age 92.

Shirley Kaigler, Parks' lawyer, said she died while taking a nap early on Monday evening surrounded by a small group of friends and family members.

"She just fell asleep and didn't wake up," Kaigler said.

The cause of death was not immediately known. Parks had fought a long battle with dementia.

Kaigler said Parks was at home in an apartment complex overlooking the Detroit River and the border with Ontario, Canada, when she died.

• chrissy
    chrissy

rest in peace, rosa....a phenomenal woman as maya angelou would say.

• horrible life
    horrible life

To a great lady.

altBy taking a single stance, she challanged the status quo. And won. Rest in Peace, Rosa Parks.

• freedom96
    freedom96

A friend of mine is writing a book about her, and says that she was a JW. I personally don't know, but I thought that was very interesting. I will have to check that out.

• Dark Knight
    Dark Knight

Being an aussie, I'd never really heard of Rosa Parks. So i just did some self education. Pretty interesting stuff. But then again american history is fascinating stuff.

It's amazing when you think about it, that only 50 years ago a black woman was supposed to give up her seat for a white man on public transport. We've come a long way in such a short time. So much for when the witnesses say things are getting worse!

DK

• banished1
    banished1

What a brave woman! I admire her!

• pratt1
    pratt1

Truly a courageous woman who glavanized a generation.

Rest in Peace, Rosa.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit