Learning.... and forgetting

by Cygnus 8 Replies latest jw friends

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

We as humans have this unique ability to learn from mistakes, and comprehend the significances and results of bad decisions. And we can retain that information for later use, as we're blessed with a concept of time and cause-effect.

I really wish cats had the same, as my cat has been yelping to go out, then come back in, every 5 minutes or so. It's freezing cold out and raining and once he's out, he wants back in. But within 5 minutes he's all upset and wants back out again. Why can't he remember how awful it is outside and much more comfortable inside? Well, there's nothing he can kill in here. He's become quite the hunter. Guess I'll let him out again and prepare for 2 minutes later when he's cold and wet and wants back in again. This cycle is gonna repeat itself all night I'm afraid. :(

Heh, sorta reminds me of people who keep getting DF'd or in trouble, constantly doing their own thing but being counseled that they have to live by Bible standards even if such seem arbitrary and useless and even harmful, and yet maintain that Jehovah's Witnesses certainly have the truth!

• JH
    JH

My cat does the same Cygnus

What you described is a good comparison.

I know that I went back and forth to the JW Org very often, just like your cat went out and came back in.

Maybe we, like the cat, feels that there is a better place to be, but just can't find it.....and comes back inside.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I believe the saying is:

Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it.

• Spectre
    Spectre

If only my snakes had the memory of cats. They are even worse at doing the same dumb thing over and over again.

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

My cat always thinks the weather will be better if he goes out a different door. LOL.

• thom
    thom

One of my cats, about 10 months old, used to dart out the door when it was open. I didn't let him out or had to go get him when he did it as my cats are indoor cats.
    Well, I went out of town in May and the person watching my pets didn't notice the cat get out and called me a few days later saying he thought I had two cats (I do). I figured the cat got out and that was that. I came home after being gone 10 days to my one cat. Two days later I find my other cat hiding under some wood I have propped up against the side of the house and I bring him in. He's skinny and scared.
    Now I can leave the door open all I want and he has absolutely no interest in going outside.

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

Poor kitty.

My other cat, the black one, shows very very little interest in going outside. Caty and I got him when he was very small and not properly weaned. He's such a sweetheart, comes when called, always without fail follows me into the bathroom, and is just happy in my small house.

I love my cats, and I'm protective of them too. There's a neighborhood cat here that comes onto my property and tries to fight with my Seymour, and hisses at me when I get too close. If I ever catch it hurting my cat I swear I'll kick it as hard as I can. Yeah, it might not know any better but I'm emotional about few things. Some that I are are people/things that threaten that which I love.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

cyg,

are you comparing yourself to the GB? lol, j/k...

the difference between your cat and JWs who keep getting in trouble is that they keep getting in trouble because the WTS is unreasonable in their analysis of human nature, whereas with your cat, he is the unreasonable one. if he was in the wild, he would have no choice but to hunt whilst soaking wet in the rain. LOL

cheers bud,

TS

• ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain

Most of these people that "still think it's the truth" are those with behavioral problems who simply couldn't cut it in other groups due to their vices and plus how they're afraid to see the religion for what it is. They will always be abused by the religion until they realise how the religion is probably the cause of some of their vices.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit