calling all former JDubs from the No. Illinois/So. Wisconsin Region

by LuckyNun 0 Replies latest jw experiences

• LuckyNun
    LuckyNun

I have been trying to get back in touch with people I may have known while growing up. I'm not trying to 'out' anyone, but if you are comfortable with letting me know you remember me, please do!

About me:

My name at the time was Tanya Woolery. My family attended the Belvidere, IL congregation. We went to Janesville for the Circuit Assemblies and Cicero and Madison for the District Conventions. I knew people from Marengo, DeKalb, Freeport, South Beloit, Rochelle, and so on. I helped on a lot of quickbuilds in that area. I was the funny-looking kid with red hair and thick glasses, dressed in garage sale outfits. My family was not of the Elite Class of Belvidere JWs. We were more like a cautionary tale for the rest of the congregation, my father having been disfellowshipped about three times for molesting my sister, being an alcoholic, and god knows what else. All of us kids were in foster care at some point. My parents and I don't speak, and I cringe to think I'm descended from them.

I was never baptized, mainly because at the time I was studying the book to prepare for baptism, the summer of 1990, I was raped by five guys, and the reaction of my parents and the elders was absolutely disgusting. I was made to feel as though it was my fault. It took years for me to stop feeling as though I'd brought it on myself. Needless to sasy, it soured whatever feelings I had left about the religion, as I was basically reading the baptism book as a last effort to make "The Truth" sink into my heart. It never did, even though I tried for two years after to put in auxilary pioneer hours. In 1993, I ran away from home and started over, which was hard to do with no one from my past who could relate except my friend Roxanne. Anyway, if you remember me, comment here or PM me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit