Is it proper for a Christian to carry mace?

by gringojj 7 Replies latest jw friends

• gringojj
    gringojj

My wifes dillusional mother has decided to carry mace for protection against her alleged stalker. I wont even get into that craziness but I was just wondering if the WTS has ever said anything against mace. I realize its not deadly but neither are stun guns and I doubt they are ok. Any thoughts?

• Darth Yhwh
    Darth Yhwh

My mother used to carry mace on her keychain. I can even remember squirting it at bugs as I walked along in the KH parking lot.

My opinion now, forget mace, how about my .40 S&W?

• blondie
    blondie

Here's the most recent WTS stance on Mace.

g95 9/22 p. 13 Should I Learn Self-Defense? ***

What about "safer" weapons, such as chemical sprays? Besides the fact that they are illegal in some places, these weapons have serious drawbacks. Instead of immobilizing a drug-crazed attacker, they may only succeed in infuriating him. It is even possible that the wind might blow the chemical into your face rather than the attacker’s—assuming you get the spray out in the first place. Seeing you rummaging through your pockets or purse, the assailant may assume you are reaching for a gun and decide to take some aggressive action of his own. One police detective thus comments: "There is no guarantee that mace [a chemical spray], or any other weapon, will work. Or that you will have it out in time. Weapons never help a situation. People put too much faith in them."

Weapons—The

Godly View

The threat of violence was real back in Jesus’ day. One of his most famous parables, commonly called the parable of the Good Samaritan, related an incident involving violent robbery. (Luke 10:30-35) When Jesus asked his disciples to equip themselves with swords, it was not for protection. In fact, it led to his stating the principle: "All those who take the sword will perish by the sword."—Matthew 26:51, 52; Luke 22:36-38.

True Christians, therefore, do not arm themselves so as to harm their fellowman. (Compare Isaiah 2:4.) They follow the Bible’s advice at Romans 12:18: "If possible, as far as it depends upon you, be peaceable with all men."

• That Nate Guy
    That Nate Guy

My convictions on violence and self-protection are my own, not the dictates of anyone else. I'm not a pacifist, though I think most wars (such as Dubya's Folly) are stupid and pointless. Would you simply stand by while someone was raping or murdering someone you love? No? Good. You're sane. Mace and Tazers are fine in my book. Especially as Amerika continues to degenerate.

THAT NATE GUY

• drahcir yarrum
    drahcir yarrum

"The threat of violence was real back in Jesus’ day. One of his most famous parables, commonly called the parable of the Good Samaritan, related an incident involving violent robbery. (Luke 10:30-35) When Jesus asked his disciples to equip themselves with swords, it was not for protection." You just have to continue to be awed by "Witness logic". If Jesus had his disciples arm themselves with swords, then what the hell did he tell them to do it for? To slice ham for lunch? Also, to cite the violence of Jesus day as a parallel with the violence facing people today with drug crazed maniacs running around is just idiotic. If you or anyone else wants to carry mace and it isn't against the law where you live, carry the damn mace. Me, I prefer a 9 mm revolver!

• Dark Knight
    Dark Knight

There's a whole stack of issues that the witnesses have an answer for, but their given answer doesn't make much sense when you think about it. This is one of those things. I remember being told when i was young that they only carried swords to fight off wild beasts. Does anyone really believe that?? Like you drahcir i'm gobsmacked by the ridiculously dim-witted application of Romans 12:18 by the witnesses. Simply this scripture has nothing to do with self-defence. One thing i don't really understand is why jesus said what he did. Was he trying to tell his apostles they should never fight, not even to defend themselves? Yet the bible is full of divinely sanctioned forms of violence. I have a feeling that jesus was just stating the obvious, since if you commonly engage in violent actions there is a good chance that you could die by violent means, and jesus was just telling peter something like, "Put that sort away cause you're just gonna end up getting yourself killed." I wouldn't mind hearing some opinions from christians on what jesus was trying to say when he said what he did about those you take by the sword, will die by the sword. DK

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

I think perhaps Jesus was indicating that those who "take the sword" or wield it in an offensive manner against others is what was to be condemned, as this would be courting violence. However the swords I think it was mentioned somewhere in dub land that I read that the highways were dangerous and full or robbers, therefore the swords may have served as a deterant or a defensive weapon.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

ya. if god is not going to protect her from some psycho, then mace is a nice alternative.

TS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit